Anyone else find forum 'badges' anoying and childish?

It seems every time you do an action on the forum for the first time you get a notification that you have been awarded a ‘badge’, does anyone else find this irritating and childish? In the ‘Interface’ section of account preference there seems to be an option to disable this [1] so I guess it would be easy to have this default to disabled if that was deemed best. I’m just thinking of the first impressions people get when joining the forum.

[1] Called ‘Skip new user onboarding tips and badges’

It’s the default system for the badges but it is configurable. I’ll have a look at it more closely when I get back.

As a former boyscout, anyone with more badges than me was annoying :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Didn’t realise there was so many badges available. I could be here all day trying to collect them all.

Triumph Motorcycle Forum

Alfie

I’ve disabled a couple of the badges today that seem particularly pointless. I don’t want to get rid of badges completely because new members (i.e. not from the other forum) may find some encouragement in attaining them.
It is possible to create customised badges but it’s not straightforward; some back-end database queries would need to be written.They’re probably not that important on a forum such as this, so it’ll be low down on my to-do list (this is an actual list) unless people start demanding them.

1 Like

Fair enough. Thanks again for your work on the new forum.

3 Likes
3 Likes

:rofl: Brillliant - I love that film.

2 Likes

Yeah …but the original - from which most of the parodies and mis-quotes are taken - remains the ‘classic’ version.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=treasure+of+the+sierra+madre+badges

:wink:

2 Likes

I was going to post that, but thought it might be a bit obscure…Bogart remains a god in my book. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Casablanca should be mandatory viewing.

1 Like

Well you live and learn! Never heard that before :blush:

1 Like

Proud to say my son (now 30 but about 10 at the time) absolutely loved casablanca the maltese falcon and the African Queen, alongside the Raymond Chandler movies. I persuaded him to watch casablanca and he was/is hooked.

Excellent job of educating your lad. Kudos to you, sir. :grinning:

I saw African Queen when as a kid, when an old film was often shown on a Saturday afternoon, long before Sky or any streaming services. I still recall feeling sad and slightly disturbed by the ending. Perhaps that was one of the first times I learnt that you don’t always get a ‘happy ever after’ ending in life.

1 Like

If you think about it, they weren’t that old when we were kids, the original top gun is 36+ years ago, im sure when I saw the bogey movies, they were “more recent” than that :joy:

I prefer not to think about it. :rofl:

1 Like

Agreed. And home of the greatest misquote in cinema history. “Play it again,Sam.”

Bugger, missed your reply out Saul. Casablanca should, indeed, be mandatory viewing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How did that one even get in to the wild? Along with ‘Beam me up, Scotty’.

1 Like