Other things we do…

Tidy work! I too have a wood lathe but like you, lost the urge after a year or 2. I think it was because of the dust and mess they make. Filthy machines!

1 Like

Yes a very messy hobby. An extraction fan does help, but still lots of shavings and dust in the workshop.

2 Likes

Impressive!

1 Like

Used to have a lot of this type of stuff. Mainly for artwork production and the like. Sold most of it off as the pictures etc were completed but I kept these mounted in a display as they are truely history in your hand.

World War One German Iron Crosses - a hero’s story behind every one. The triangular ones are Austrian, some were mounted for dress occasions, one has a spange (eagle with swastika) to show it was awarded in both World Wars and one is backed by the awardee’s original oval Dog Tag (both halves still present).

5 Likes

A pleasure to view. Thank you.
That’s shitloads of bravery in one frame.

1 Like

Why custom bikes are associated with war signs? Maybe someone can explain?

1 Like

In the 70s we all had iron cross (2nd class) on our cut offs, you could pick them up for 10 bob from army surplus stores.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have been allowed to take it to school. :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t allowed to take my RD200 (round tank version) to school either so I’d ride most of the way then walk the last half mile. I bought it with saved up paper round and washing up in a hotel money. Id ridden a friends Ap50 and realised mopeds just weren’t for me.

2 Likes

I’ve just started doing a German course online with the Duolingo app. We’re hoping to visit the Bavarian Alps in September so it seemed like a good idea. It’s a bit basic and the structure of the app is clearly for school age types, but it certainly helped me improve my Spanish in the past and l will have a better grasp of German than would otherwise be the case. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Top man!

I’m doing French with Babbel. It’s quite good fun.

1 Like

I’m a golfer, spend more time on the course than I do on the bike …

3 Likes

I speak English, as I’m a lazy sod.

Trying to ensure the son has some values outside modern techno-lifestyle… grand overnighter!!!

12 Likes

Some more…

And finally…

15 Likes

What a good Dad!:grinning:

2 Likes

Perfect; my Dad used to do similar with me quite often. It was brilliant on so many levels and I realise now I am older just how fortunate I was. We didn’t have a TV for most of my childhood, or neighbours, or mains water etc - but did have pretty much unlimited freedom and adventure which is worth so much more.

6 Likes

My old man used to race sidecars so i was always reluctantly"dragged " around the uk on different tracks since 4 yrs old.
I was given an old pit bike (montesa trails bike) and told to enjoy the weekends…
Never actually realised how great i actually had it.
Hindsight etc!
Ps, castrol r…mmmmmm

7 Likes