2023 Rear Suspension

Come on now, the amount of miles you’ve clocked up already, I think you’re novice days are well behind you! But yes, as @Octoberon says, there’s always learning to be done, nomatter who you are!

1 Like

I think you will find that our LRH models have a seat height of 780 from memory. For me the extra £1,700 for the RS over the R is a waste of money. Hopefully the bods at Triumph will tell me how our LHRs were developed from the standard R. However, having downloaded the owners handbook for the 2023 machines and looked at the displays of the R and the RS/Moto 2 machines I think I need look no further.

2 Likes

My knowledge is still definitely novice level but I enjoy learning :+1:.

2 Likes

You’re right; I had 785mm in my head for some reason; should have checked!

From the above you can see the displays from the current machines together with that on our current machines.

1 Like

This is very true.

This helpful?
Had them on the busa and were fine.
Dependingon which hole you use, 1" or 3" lower.

2 Likes

Many thanks to everyone for your contributions that are really appreciated.

I asked the bods at Triumph how they modified the previous R to get to the LRH model. “ The LRH variant was a dedicated model that had shorter suspension fork legs and rear shock, along with a different side stand length when compared to the standard height R model.”

So, no matter what I did with the available lowering options I would not get near what I have now. I was not prepared to spend nine and a half grand on a new machine to then have to experiment with aftermarket parts.

The other problem I have is with the TFT display they now put on the bike. I have downloaded the owner’s handbook for the new machines to get a better look at the display on the new R and this has confirmed, in my opinion, how b***** awful it is.

So, no new bike.

Lust Racing do lowering links, they are top quality and real easy to fit, start to finish less than 20 minutes. I have fitted lots to a variety of makes and models with no issues at all. Put a lower seat on and your comfort will suffer, especially on longer rides, if you don’t want to do it yourself (and it is easy, also it does not affect the warranty), then ask the dealer to fit the links for you.

Nothing for Ducati, which is the kit we need in our garage. Not sure why that should be when they do for the likes of MV.

If the bike is lowered at the back shouldn’t the front be dropped through the forks to level it up again?

By lowering the front end of the motorcycle, it loses some of its rake and trail. As a result, you will quicken the motorcycle’s steering but will lose a little stability. On the other hand, lowering the rear will increase the trail, which will slow the steering but will improve stability (you will have to really push on to notice a difference). Lowering the rear end is the better choice, and it’s all most riders need who struggle with both feet down, since lowering the rear end also lowers the seat substantially, making it easier to flat-foot your motorcycle at stops. An important thing to also mention is the Lust Racing kit comes with the parts that puts the sidestand in the correct position when applied, otherwise you risk your machine falling over, the kit (plate and fasteners) fits in minutes, and it looks factory original.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t suggesting lowering the front as an alternative to lowering the rear. That would be a bit mad for the good reasons you stated. :slight_smile: Damn good point about the sidestand, I’d never considered that before.

1 Like

I had my tiger sport lowered 25mm by the dealer before I picked the bike up as new. And yes the impact on the side stand is very noticeable. I was always very careful when getting on and off the bike. It also has an impact on the centre stand, making it more difficult to pull it on. Both situations are manageable, but it would have been optimum if the dealer had adjusted them. I didn’t know there were options to do this. :grinning:

2 Likes

When I lowered SWMBO’s StreetTripleR I sourced a side stand off ebay from an older non-R, it is shorter and also has a peg half way down making it easier to put down whilst on the bike. I also lowered the front by about 10mm but had to use 20mm bar spacers to give clearance for the fork tops. Existing cables and brake line only just about ok with a bit of rerouting.

Edit: It is a 2015 model though.

2 Likes

I will post a picture as soon as I am able, this will show the Lust Links and sidestand mod

1 Like