Back on two (Triumph) wheels

I knew it… I am mental.

Don’t worry, it’s a lot easier to ride than the CB500F I did my training on. :slight_smile:

Back in 1967 I taught myself to ride on a fairly rapid 250cc Ariel Arrow without any tuition (there wasn’t any back then, and I didn’t know anyone who could teach me), and I survived to tell the tale, so I’m sure he’ll be fine. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the Triumph fold . . . . from one Newbie to another ! . Don’t worry about your age , I have 20 years up on you & just bought my first Triumph a week ago . A Licence loser for certain if not careful ! . We have a 50 / 50 chance of not being caught here in Australia as we have no front number plates but we have an abundance of fixed & mobile speed cameras . Naturally that doesn’t help when the police are in unmarked cars . . . . Good luck with your new machine . Brian .

2 Likes

Thank you for all the kind words, support and advice. Sorry for the delay in coming back, but work has been crazy, the weather completely shite, so I only picked her up this morning.

I was absolutely bricking it when I let that clutch out for what felt like the first time since Julius Caesar was stabbed. I probably rode like a total dick for the first 15 miles. Wobbled round my first roundabout like a 3 year-old.

However… it comes back to you, it really does. Clocked up 70 miles today around various A-roads, and loved every single bit of it. No stalls, no dramas, amazingly. Totally focused on NOT finding the envelope and becoming a 50+ statistic, I still managed to scrape the right hand peg along the road on a moderately tight right-hander. Not a problem, but I backed off a bit after that and have learned very quickly that this is not a machine to corner fast on.

So the motor is everything everyone said about it, and even though I’m keeping her below 3,000 for the running-in period, she pulls like a train from 1,750 up. Effortless to ride. The pipes just sound fantastic. Visited a couple of mates who were happy to report that the Triumph renders the doorbell unnecessary, but definately not “piss off all your neighbours” style thumping.

She’s a heavy beast, I crushed my nuts a couple of times shifting her back and forward when I was wiggling backwards through the garage door (it’s narrow) but who cares I don’t need them anymore anyway.

It was an absolute joy riding around on that bike today. I haven’t felt so calm and happy in ages. I’m even smiling now, knowing she is parked up in the garage. Might come down in the middle of the night and sit on her.

Mandatory pictures attached. I’m glad I coughed up the extra for the two-tone paint, it works for me. Mandatory pictures attached. I’ve stayed out of the pictures as clearly I spoil the whole look.

Thanks again all, will be on the forums going forward and hope I can share some useful things with you all.

Awrabest! Jock.

9 Likes

Shes a beauty alright… and no better therapy! Health to ride

Brilliant - Congratulations :clap:

Congratulation on the new bike and enjoy the ride.

That is a fine looking motorcyle and no mistake. Great to hear it’s having the desired effect. Looking forward to hearing about more of your travels.

Happy new bike day Jock! :grinning: :+1:
Hope the weather plays ball so you get that 1st service in asap.

Happy new bike day! :smiley: