Buying Motorcycle Lifts

It won’t be up to Iron’s standards by a long shot but I’ll do my best to prove that if I can do it, anyone can. Or possibly not. :smile:

Managed to drag the lift in to the garage. Thank goodness for the little flatbed trolley R bought from Aldi a few years ago.

1 Like

Eight days down the line and no assembled pics?? Your slacking Saul!!

It didn’t happen??? :thinking:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Bob_the_builder

1 Like

My hero. :grin:

Look, pictures and it did happen! :smile:

8 Likes

I found that the guard plate over the “release” pedal was a bit annoying so removed it. In the last 2 years I’ve not stood on it accidentally and lowered the bike so the guard is staying off for good.

The other little modification I did was to drill the end of the black locking pin so that it would take a decent padlock.

2 Likes

Many moons ago I had a temp job at Rover’s car panel plant. The hydraulic presses were foot operated with a cover to stop accidental use. The big presses had a guard rail to push anyone away from the press as it cycled. Even with the plate in place I caught the pedal a couple of times and still reckon I cracked something as it hit me in the chest.

The bike lift isn’t quite the same but I’m wary of that pedal for now. :smile: The locking bar means it isn’t so much of an issue so if it annoys me I’ll remove the guard as well.

That’s quite a good idea so long as the bike on it isn’t too light

This is an interesting post…I can only dream of the funds for a bike lift…I continue to keep my eye out.

What’s the deal with the little hydraulic ones that kinda sit under the engine…I am always flummoxed as to how they lift - as in, where is it positioned? Surely you are supposed.to lift the bike on the exhaust or engine …or are you?

How would I lift a 2010 Tiger 1050? Any photos of one on use…

1 Like

Whilst bike lifts are great and I have one I have used in the past, but for my tiger I went for paddock stands. In my mind they are safer than some lifts.

You can also put the bike on a paddock stand when it’s on the lift. Best of both worlds, perhaps.

What was you concern with the bike lift?

Just a feeling that the stands are more stable. Mind I never had any problems when using the lift.

1 Like

I had an Abba stand for the GS and sold it fairly quickly for the following reasons:

I found it more difficult to move around my garage than the constands dolly I have because the floor wasn’t smooth and because of the design when you try to move it straight either backwards or forwards it crabs

Cleaning the bike was actually more difficult than using 2 paddock stands as the lift restricted access to the one side of the bike.

I had a “moment” with it that resulted in the bike falling off the one mount. Luckily it was on the same side as the main part of the lift and not too far off the ground so no danage was done, but had it been higher and fallen from the other side then serious damage woukd have occured.

I’d used the lift quite a few times and was used to the process of inserting the bobbins into the frame and had checked it was tight before lifting so was then very wary about using it again so have reverted to 2 paddock stands for cleaning and the dolly for moving it round the garage

The mini “platform” lifts are intended (I believe) for use on trials/trail type bikes where the bike’s lower frame rails can sit comfortably on the platform. I’d advise you to NEVER put a platform lift under a bike with the exhaust pipe/s lower than the frame rails - unless you make up some kind of block or subframe to go beneath the engine or the foot peg mounts. It would definitely not be a good idea to, in essence, put the weight of the whole bike onto the exhaust pipes - it’s liable to put far too much strain on the pipes and their brackets and would be applying a leverage force from pipe(s) to exhaust ports.

I’ve got two 1Jac lift/stands for our Street Triples (the Constands version is a ‘knock-off’ copy - there’s a long and salutary story in there about copyright laws!) and they are great at what they do provide but, as someone else has mentioned, they do have the drawback of restricting access to the nearside of the bike when on the lift. I have a feeling that, regrettably, 1Jac may have ceased trading.

Thanks, some interesting replies.

On the whole I use the centre stand…it allows me to do all that I need.

Anything beyond that I use an Abba Stand.

I was curious about a lift as I simply can’t bear the getting down and up again…especially as the thing I want -spanner, rag, whatever; is always “not where i need it”!

1 Like