What satnavs do people use?

Tracks work for me, it always guides to the nearest part of the track if you stray off it, in the event of a closed road you just go in the general direction and you will always end up back on track. I find waypoints the opposite. If you stray or miss one, it guides you back even if youve already passed it. If you have a closed road, then you have to go into menus to skip waypoints or avoid roads. The track is just set and forget and you know it will guide you to the roads you picked in myrouteapp without deciding its own path between waypoints. I’m sure waypoints have advantages but when I switched to tracks it was a revelation to me. The only downside to a track that I have found… if your route has you going and returning along the same stretch of road, and you go off track on the outward journey, it can guide you back to the home stretch cutting out a bit of the loop. If a journy has a lot of the same roads used twice, I just make 2 routes, one there and one back.

2 Likes

I’ve got an old basic Garmin in the van which is occasionally handy when we are collecting or delivering stuff in an unfamiliar town. But I’ve been working with maps and plans all my life, so one or two 1:50,000 OS maps of the area I’m going to is all I ever want on the bike.

2 Likes

I use my Google Pixel 6 Pro and Quadlock case with a mount on each bike to give me the flexibility to effectively have the same SatNav on all 4 bikes. I use a mixture of Google Maps, Waze and TomTom Go Navigation app for longer planned trips. They all have their idiosyncrasies, such the my TomTom which has been known to take me in to every lay-by on route, which is comical but frustrating. :laughing:

I also have a Beeline and am still getting to grips with the basic guidance and sometimes confusing rerouting. :upside_down_face:

But how do you go on looking for a hotel in the middle of a strange big city. For me it would be super stressful without a GPS of some sort.
Take for example this morning I had to go for a job interview in a city 74km away. I would still be driving around looking for the office now, if I hadn’t got Waze in the car (via Android Auto). Waze got me there at exactly the predicted time.
I got the job by the way.

7 Likes

YAY! Congratulations! Prima, ik denk. :star_struck:

1 Like

I’ve got the Garmin XT, and it’s every bit as good as people have said. The screen is something else. It’s miles better than my mates Tomtom, he wishes now that he’d bought the Garmin. If you’re worried about using Basecamp, which on the surface is a nightmare, then look on YouTube for Ezymoto Tim. His tutorials are briliant.
I bought a lifetime membership to MyRouteApp, and I’ve done loads of routes in that, as well as Basecamp with no problems at all.

2 Likes

Apple maps on iPhone. Never used anything else as it’s always with me. Used it all over Europe. I Bluetooth it to my helmet and it’s better than any screen to look at. The traffic is ‘live ‘ at all times so in rush hours it can change to less busy routes if so required.

2 Likes

True, I reorganised menus so ‘skip next waypoints’ is more easily accessible.

1 Like

Congratulation @SueDenim ; is it a contract or perm role? :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Steve. It’s a permanent role, doing my usual IT work. The last place laid me off in July due to shortage of work. The new company is snowed under so doubt I’ll get laid off here. All interviews with different people were done one after the other and I got told I was successful later in the afternoon. Very efficient process I have to say.

5 Likes

Both ways have advantages, its great we have a choice :grinning:

Good luck :+1:t2:

1 Like

Brilliant. I hope you don’t have a big commute and things work out for you. Well done you :slightly_smiling_face:

Another vote for the Garmin XT. Can’t fault it either here or in Europe. I’m sure TomToms are fine also but I’ve always had Garmin. My mate had both and declared the Tom Tom to be “shite” but he never elaborated why!

I use myrouteapp as I couldn’t get on with basecamp at all (I would say that it is shite) :joy:

I use my phone and google maps on the Yamaha with a Quadlock mount but I don’t have a USB port so have to rely on the phones charge - not really an issue as I don’t tour on the Yam.

No USB or mount on the Guzzi, so I keep the phone in my pocket and rely on directions through the headset. Only problem with a phone is that you will lose signal at some point and then you’re a bit stuck.

Also, only listening to directions is fine but if it goes quiet for a longish spell, is it just the time to the next turn or have you lost the signal?

I always plan long journeys or a tour with maps. Despite having built in gps connectivity with the Tiger, and the satnav, I still sometimes stick a bit of paper in the top of the tankbag with key roads and town headings marked. Trouble is, I need to write in big with my eyesight so not room for too many directions. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is what bothers me, which is why I’m only considering apps that have down loadable off line maps, which MAPS.ME has.

I think if I’m navigating from A to B on a long journey that I’m unfamiliar with I’ll just go with Google maps which I really like and it will also keep the maps off line and has live traffic.

If I’m planning a circular route at a destination, or I specifically want to take the long way around, then I’ll use MAPS.ME as it has better route customisation.

1 Like

You can download google maps offline, so I’ve lost the signal - this week in fact - to the spoken directions but retained the visual map :sunglasses:

The rules are 2 days only in the office and 3 work from home. So very doable.

3 Likes

You book ahead, crazy I know but it works for me.

I was referring to the problem of getting to the hotel in a large city, not the booking of it.

1 Like