2002 trophy 1200 handlebar conversion - some questions

Hi, I’m struggling a bit with comfort on my 2002 triumph trophy 1200. I’ve owned the bike since new and since I’ve added a new bike to my garage I’m really noticing how uncomfortable the riding position of the trophy is for me now. I don’t want to get rid of it without trying to improve the comfort because I’ve realised it’s been with me for nearly a 1/3 of my life!
I thought I’d try to bring the handlebars up and back, thinking about 1 1/2" inches both way. I’ve trawled the web for solutions and it would appear there are 3 ways.

1. Gen Mar risers, but they seem out of production everywhere and would only lift the bars up, not back.
  2. A new top yoke, I’ve found a couple on the web but Moto-CNC seem to keep coming up. They will allow me to convert the bike to normal handlebars rather than the existing ones that clamp around the fork tubes. These do seem expensive, in the region of £180-£200, then I’d need to add the bars ontop.
  3. A plate or parts that fix to the top yoke and allow normal handle bars to be fitted. Moto-CNC do a generic 41mm fork version that costs about £120. CRK (caferacerkits.co.uk) seem to sell a T300 handlebar riser kit for £100, but it is designed for their kits so I guess I’d have to call them to discuss.
    My question is has anybody done this? Are there any pitfalls and any other solutions that can be used? Or have you used one of the above?. I know I might have to replace the hydraulic lines for the clutch and brake, but would hope the wiring would stretch/reroute.
    I’ve changed the bars on a '92 trophy to trident versions and did the same with a '98 sprint sport, but these trophy bars are the highest available, I think.
    I’m still uncertain what to do as I think I might have outgrown this bike, but it still looks new to me and I’ve only done a paltry 16000 miles on it in 20 years. It carriers a ton of kit and is far better to go camping on than my other new bike which just doesn’t have the carrying capacity for tent, stove, sleeping bags, mats, chairs etc along with normal luggage.
    I think I might be wasting my time trying to improve the comfort, but I thought I might ask and see.

Edited to correct my mistake, Forks are 43mm not 41mm.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks, is that from triumph-trophy.com? I thought that forum was only for the 1215 SE models.
I found it on ebay and it looks similar to the version that sprint manufacturing have on their website but marked as out of stock. Another one to add to my list of possible solutions.

1 Like

No, i found the forum but the bike was newer than yours so i just googled LSL and scanned through. Not bad including the bars :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I converted my 1998 Daytona a while back using a top yoke kit from CNC Top Yokes (https://www.topyokes.uk/product-category/triumph/) but it doesn’t look like they do one specifically for the Trophy. I did initially but a kit from Moto-CNC but it was the wrong fork leg size so it sent it back and I got a full refund.

I would highly recommend using Cafe Racer Kits if they have what you need because they really know their stuff and I have bought one-off parts from them and a full CRK kit in the past.

Lessons I learned from my Daytona conversion are here:

Good luck :+1:

Cheers

Geoff

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, I like the look of the CRK solution if it works for my trophy. The Moto-CNC one I mentioned in the 3rd solution is generic for 41mm forks, which I think mine is, but I’ll triple check before I think about ordering anything. I will keep in mind the problems you had with the top yoke from moto-cnc. I read your write up and the final look is very clean and I’ll look for all the tiny cable ties that I can to release the wiring…
Part of my thought process with CRK is if I get their adapter plate but still have problems with the trophy I could always buy their T300 roadster kit and create my own CRK… in my dreams…
Edited to add my forks are 43mm not 41mm, in case anybody reading this gets confused, just like me…

1 Like

My pleasure and I am glad my post has been useful.

I have since fitted Renthal 754 Road Low bars that sweep back a bit more and miss the fairing, so no more steering lock limitations or MOT failure. :wink:

1 Like