2010 Bonneville

Just wanted to ask a question. I have this 2010 Bonneville which seems to be an 11 plate early release. I changed the rocker cover gasket and oil and filter. I now noticed the engine management light stays on. IO have not ridden the the bike to find out if the light goes out. It starts and runs fine and is getting oil to the head as the old rocker gasket leaked all over. I did try the three engine starts but still the same. Any body to throw a light on this would be helpful.
Joe

You say 3 starts Joe, does that mean 3 complete heat cycles?

1 Like

You will probably find that the light goes out when you ride the bike. These things can be quite temperamental and random. Not sure why changing the head gasket could possibly trigger it - they can’t be connected.

Allow for three proper cycles, ie. engine fully cooling down before the next start. My 2012 bonnie suffered from the random engine management light coming on for no apparent reason, but it always went off eventually.

1 Like

Vulpes
Yes three cool / hot starts and tried it twice. I am working for a few days but will check it over later. May have disturbed something. Someone has half removed the air elimatator pipe work from the head not a very neat job. But we will get there i do hope.
Joe

1 Like

SteveLovatt
Yes hoping it will. No i don’t believe the rocker cover is to blame. But perhaps i disturbed something there messing around. We will give it another go and keep my fingers crossed. Was trying to trade it for the new 400 enduro bike. But when i was honest with Bulldog they didn’t want to know and would not give me the £3500 I wanted for an 8000 thou mile bike. Still maybe did me a favour.
Joe

2 Likes

Hi Joe, not sure if this will help or confuse. When a fault has been fixed the EML will remain ‘ON’ until the correct number of warm up cycles have been performed. This can be from 3 to turn ‘OFF’ the EML to 40 cycles to erase the code from the ECM.
I have attached part of the workshop manual I downloaded for my Street Twin. Hope it helps.
Alfie

DTC Delete.pdf (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

Alfie.
Yes that makes sense and as soon as i get some time i may play some more. Thanks.
Joe