About the The Workshop category

Welcome the The Workshop. Roll up your sleeves and grab a spanner.

The Workshop - Think of this as the workshop cafe where people can chat generally about what’s in the other workshop sub-categories

Discussions about what you’re thinking of doing to their bikes, have done to them in the past, or recommendations for upgrades etc. should be posted in the Triumph or Other Makes categories. The workshop is about working on the bikes, not window shopping.

Restorations and Rebuilds - Full bike restorations, projects, and rebuilding whole areas of the bike (e.g. engines, gearbox etc.). These are blog style posts. Edit your first post when adding more content. Replies below for comments and answering questions.

Repairs & Upgrades - This is for any repairs that fall short of a full rebuild. Replacing a component that means stripping an engine would still be a repair. Stories of people fixing their bikes plus members’ questions and answers.
‘Upgrades’ are improvements to existing components or options. Adding new, non-standard stuff goes in Modifications and Customising

Modifications and Customising - Adding things to bikes that weren’t part of the original, from luggage racks and exhausts to full customisation. “I’m thinking about doing…” posts ahould be in the Triumph or Other Makes categories.

Servicing - How to service your bike. Not just the Haynes manual description but with all those useful tips learned from experience. Differences between years noted where appropriate. Questions from members and advice to those who want to service their bike or are having trouble doing it.

How To - All those jobs that aren’t just servicing. This section contains step-by-step guides to doing jobs, large and small. Conversations about the experiences people have carrying out jobs would be for The Workshop

Equipment - Tools and other equipment used in the workshop. Stands, lifts, toolkits, consumables…anything you’d find in a well used garage or toolbox.

Suppliers - Recommended places to buy and other experiences to help you make those purchasing decisions.

Here are a few examples to help illustrate what should be posted where:

• “Any tips for removing the swinging arm bolt on my Bonnie?” → The Workshop
  • “Here’s how to remove the swinging arm bolt from a Bonnie.” → `The Workshop-How To
  • “I’m thinking about upgrading my Speed Triple’s rear suspension. Any recommendations?” → Triumph-Street Triple
  • “Where can I buy 10mm sockets in bulk?” → The Workshop-Suppliers
  • “I use my wife’s toothbrush to clean the chain on my Triumph.” → www.marriage.com
1 Like