About to fail MOT?

2010 1050 ABS.

Doing my pre MOT checks, along with this morning’s ride checks and I noticed two things…well, maybe 3…

First - no Number plate light on…
I am going to park that as an easy fix (but MOT fail).

Next is one front ‘position’ light. Is out entirely. Bulb I’m guessing.

Finally, other position light…is flickering.

Any thoughts, advice, opinions etc etc…

Also…any suggestions on where to get these replacement bulbs? 9r the usual (Wemoto, WoT etc)

Link to video
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JVcLwm8RG4TXnr5Y8

I can’t find bulbs… Anyone?

Can’t ascertain what bulb required for reg.

Can’t ascertain what bulb required for “position lights”…

Not on Wemoto. Not on WoT…

:grimacing:
2010 Tiger 1050 ABS

Check and clean all connectors and refit with dielectric grease. Also check/clean bulb holders (I assume they’re not LED?), but don’t get grease near/on bulbs. Degrease bulbs when refitting or fitting new if needed.

3 Likes

The flickering “bulb” looks quite white in your video, perhaps they’re LED not filament bulbs? LED’s can fail but bigger incentive to check all your connections.

1 Like

Does this help?
Not sure I’ve picked the right model.

2 Likes

Thanks @Col_C !

Really helpful!! Position light bulb ordered (just in case).

The reg plate light seems to be a unit, not a bulb…will investigate…

And buy some dielectric grease!

2 Likes

If typical Triumph the number plate bulb is probably a W5W too. :+1:

1 Like

So…after some dedicated, highly processed fault finding…

(Wiggling everything and giving it all a bit of a clean)

((On the bike I mean))

I got all the lights working!

By the time I got to the MOT centre, the position lights were off or flickering…

More cleaning?

Only saving grace is these positions lights are not MOT fails…but still…I would like to have greater faith in my fault finding abilities.

Oh…I’m not sure what’s happened here… Maybe this should go in the new “nob of the week” thread…

RHS is what was In the bike, and failing.

LHS is what I ordered from the diagram at WoT… (12v 5w5).

On the assumption the new LHS bulb is/will fit, it won’t be as sparkly pin point white as the LED?

If I want the LED, what is it I need to look for when ordering? 12v? Fitment type?

Thanks!

As I suspected (I did say they looked white in your video), the previous owner has upgraded to LED units. Many come from China and of varying quality, as a consequence some don’t last very long. If you want to stay with LED you’ll have to do a bit of research, the W5W wedge type come in many shapes and can shine sideways (as would be needed for the reg plate bulb - I’ve done mine), or from the end as you’ve got for the running lights.
If it were me I’d get a new pair of LED’s, they’re whiter and brighter so more visible. :+1:

Edit: You could start here, but there’s plenty of alternatives to pick from…
https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-osram-ledriving-sl-range-w5w-led-upgrade-bulbs-white-pair.html

This great,.thanks @Col_C and yes, you did say…I just 2asnt sure if what I had in was stock or not…clearly not!

I’m going to go with two of those Osrams … (and stock for the reg). Thank you!

2 Likes