Another "Safety" Campaign in Wales

Make sure you haven’t got one of those lethal small number plates fitted!! :scream: :joy:

2 Likes

Talk about the article being all over the show.
Big focus on tyres and then back to good old prosecution.

If there is a pattern between what caused the fatalities publish that data riders are more likely to take that seriously. They surely have the data as to the causes of each accident following the subsequent accident investigation and coroners report.

They really are scraping the bottom of the barrel saying they will be looking at number plates and visors if the focus is on safety.

3 Likes

Easy answer is stay well away from Wales! Shame because it’s a lovely place :confused:

I suppose Wales does have the misfortune to be in easy reach of thousands of riders from the English Midlands, and a small proportion of those will ride like eejits. Even a small percentage of a large number will still be quite a lot. The Welsh fuzz do seem to be a bit OTT though.

Unsurprisingly it makes no mention of targeting car drivers too, especially those that knock bikers off or drive like twats. If they did maybe they’d watch out for bikers a bit more if there was a publicised targeted enforcement for ALL road users in Wales during the peak season, not just those on 2 wheels.

3 Likes

Which is what their “campaign” is hoping to do.

I’ll probably be up there sometime this year, an old work colleague (and GS rider) lives there. But I’ll be using the stock beemer, they’d have a field day picking over all the mod’s on our Speed and Street Triples. :joy:
Mind, I’d better stick to their speed (20mph :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) limits, having just added the dashcam that now tots up a total of 4 separate data streams on the bike recording my speed (and more) to self incriminate!

2 Likes

So the Wales Police want to check my bike to see if it’s safe for the road? Who is checking the road to see if it’s safe for my bike? No one, as I thought…

4 Likes

I did wonder before I posted earlier what condition the roads in Wales are in.
Near me on a country road on a bend the curb had become lowered due to lorries driving over it.
The curb was fixed but they totally ignored the road surface which was missing directly in front of the curb.
The road remains the same 7 months later.

In fairness, I always know when I have crossed the border into Wales as the roads are generally in so much better condition than in the area I live in. By no means perfect, but in the main very much an improvement.

Mind you, I live in the “pothole capital of England” according to media reports from Feb 2024 :weary:.

Caused by hooligans doing wheelies on Fireblades?

3 Likes

Undoubtedly :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

2 Likes

Ha

Well sounds like the Welsh Roads could remain that way for longer less vehicles less ware and tare to the roads

Very rare that I go not Wales these days. The speed restriction has killed any enjoyment on the roads for me. 40 mph all the way up the horseshoe pass is a joke.

1 Like

Do we have any Welsh road experts on the forum, surely there must be SOME roads left that aren’t cobbled by cameras?
We ought to start a recommended roads thread for the various areas where members have local knowledge.
Some time ago I nagged Saul to allow uploading of gpx files, we really should make use of it. :+1:
I’ll start one for Cornwall next week.

2 Likes

There are loads approaching from the Herefordshire side and around the Brecons @Col_C that are camera - free and fantastic to ride. Some have a mobile camera van on fairly often and some I haven’t encountered one. None of the roads I ride through Wales regularly have average speed cameras on - the Black Mountain Road does which is a shame but there are lots and lots of gorgeous places to go that don’t.

If I have a bit of free time this weekend I can put some routes up. Good idea of yours by the way :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

It seems to be North Wales where the cameras are mostly placed. I agree with @MrsVisor mid Wales seems to be ok.

1 Like

A recommended routes thread is a great idea :+1:

1 Like

Yes, Saul is having a think how best to set it up. :+1:

3 Likes

Here in Dumfries and Galloway there’s a camera van which is often stationed in various places on the A75 and occasionally on the A76 and A77. I’ve also seen an unmarked grey saloon car on the A75. Otherwise, nothing much to worry about. There are fixed cameras on several main roads in the Borders though.

2 Likes

I reckon Waze is your best friend in Wales