Are bikes getting too complex?

Yeah fob stays in my pocket until I go to fuel up then it’s a dig to find it instead of "Oh look, there’s the key, in the ignition lock right in front of my eyes!":grinning:

Agree with that. The phone stuff especially is something I do not want. The electronic suspension… I’ve ridden 2 bikes with it, the KTM superduke GT and Speed triple RR, neither felt as good as a well set up manual suspension bike. I’ve had keyless triumphs wich frankly I though was a poorly executed attempt, the KTM system was actually very good. Still unnecessary though.

4 Likes

Ignition keys? Bah, new-fangled rubbish. All my Vincent needs to stop the engine is the exhaust valve lifter…

3 Likes

Ah I forgot that Trumpets have keyless that doesn’t open the fuel cap which is bonkers so can understand why owners think it’s a waste of time. Ze germans on the other hand…

Speaking of locking fuel caps, I’ve definitely got my Luddite hat on today: why does anyone need a locking fuel cap? I never lock mine, just another faff. I’ve never had any fuel nicked.

1 Like

Yeah that too!:grinning:

1 Like

Nobody likes a show off!

1 Like

My Speed Triple 1200 does :+1:

Sometimes though it won’t do either unless I dig it out of my pocket so I still hate it.

2 Likes

I’m definitely not qualified to pass any opinion on the original poll as I’ve only just this year bought a bike with ABS, gear indicator and fuel injection… that’s after 40 odd years of riding. I laugh when testers call normal speedos and revcounters ‘retro’… However, they do seem to be very reliant on technology and thus I worry they will be less reliable in the long term. My new bike keeps lighting up the eml and the dealer says it’s ok it’s not a real problem, just a sensor being silly (ok not their exact words, just paraphrasing). If you don’t keep them for long, I suppose you wouldn’t have those worries.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about not being qualified to have an opinion. It doesn’t stop anyone else around here. :joy:

The frequency with which sensors act silly really fills one with confidence about the introduction of self-driving vehicles, doesn’t it…

4 Likes

Yep, my car has a system that will brake for me if it thinks I’ve cocked things up below 20mph. I’ve never had the nerve to try it because my brain always thinks what if a bug has hit the camera and obscured its vision. Let alone the concern that computers can have brain farts as well (plus in a past life I was a programmer and know how poorly some systems are written and tested, so that adds to the concerns).
Plus, my supposedly very reliable car (from surveys) has already kicked out 3 system alarms that the dealer has no idea about and just resets the computer! Yep, it’s a bright future ahead…

1 Like

I think the issue is we all (most of us anyway) started riding a while ago and so learnt to ride without all these gismos and therefore understand how a bike behaves much like knowing in old fashioned cars that you needed to do all your braking before the corner or you risked losing it by braking mid corner. As such we can appreciate what all these gismos give us but can take it or leave it.
For those who only learnt to drive and ride with them they don’t necessarily realise how much these things are masking their lack of road/track skills.
Just a thought :wink:

3 Likes

Been enjoying this thread for a few days, can’t resist reposting this courtesy of DCS222

So, I voted yes, but really I’m on the fence…
My SpeedTriple1050 and SWMBO’s StreetTriple675 are both 2015’s so no rider aids other than ABS, no rider modes and real keys. We’ll be keeping them as long as we can ride as they are a fully engaging ride and I’m able to maintain them without the help of a stealer.
On the other hand I’ve recently bought a B#W S1000XR with a shed load of toys to play with. Not as satisfying a ride but will hopefully whisk us through Europe in comfort courtesy of semi-active suspension, and at the end of the day I can amuse myself checking out max lean angles, G forces, speeds, etc etc.
I think both high and low tech bikes have their place, benefits and disadvantages (not looking forward to the BMW service bill).
Most of my thoughts have already been covered by others posts here, so won’t repeat, but my main concern relates to tech in cars. Manufacturers are being legislated in to including more and more driver aids making them close to autonomous vehicles, driver concentration levels are already low (not helped by all the tech they can be distracted by) and will drop even further when they think they can rely on these so called safety features.
A f’ing big spike in the centre of the steering wheel would be a better approach IMO.

3 Likes

Thankfully, I’ve never been on a modern superbike, but I’m sure all the electronic gadgetry makes the ride safer for most riders. So that’s good. My concern though, is that all the electronics found on almost any bike (and car) these days will make future rebuilding and even common maintenance very difficult. Being a skilled fabricator or generally good with a spanner will not be enough - the electronic parts needed will be since long gone, and repairs will be almost impossible. So I feel for the next generation of Iron, darkman etc.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, no rider mods on this road legal machine, not sure if the tree hugging environmentalists will approve, tax and mot exempt, not sure if it is dual fuel though (wood and coal). Personally, I think it’s a bit of fantastic engineering.

7 Likes

Ever had a dickhead try to put sugar in your fuel though? Not necessarily about what can be taken out, applies equally to what can’t be put in. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s a proper burnout :+1:

No, I haven’t. What sort of place do you live in? :astonished: :astonished:

All three of my bikes have locking fuel caps as standard and that suits me.

It’s nothing new, my 1982 CX500 had one. :grinning: