Balkans 2023

Looks like you’re planning a stunning trip for next year Wim. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m very much looking forward to it, Steve!

Yes done Stelvio on 4 different bikes now (and probably again this summer on route to the Dolomites). It’s kind of an addictive riding challenge , but I’m not sure I’d rate it as the most enjoyable. Yes the Swiss side (Umbrail pass) is more flowing and all the better for it. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
Got snaps of the last 2 goes :slightly_smiling_face:

The grey BM was a rental but now have a shiny red one of my own - roll on summer! :+1:

6 Likes

Sounds like a great trip. My memories are fading as I did the coastal road down to Greece and returned inland, all through Yugoslavia as it was then (in the mid 80’s) . So, I think my tips would be a wee bit out of date however, the coastal road had some fantastic views and twists. In those days the area was full of Polish tourists who were limited to where they could go because of the soviet controls. The locals constantly wanted to be paid in Dollars or Deutschmark’s and we struggled to get them to accept their own currency at times… The one thing I do recall thinking was, it’s bloody hot here in August… My leather jacket spent a lot of time tied to the bike, tut tut. Enjoy the planning and the trip.

2 Likes

Yep, Umbrail/Ofen/Fluela… brilliant!

1 Like

Did Austria a couple of times then the dolomites then down to nr Venice and into the French alps. It’s addictive!! It’s a shame I have to waste my tyres in the shit uk roads first!

1 Like

Edit: post deleted.

We’ll be in the Dolomites last two weeks of June, based in Val di Fassa.

There used to be are car called the Triumph Dolomite. :smiley:
It was quite a smart car.

1 Like

… or as it was, colloquially, known “Dollop o’ sh!te”. That said the Sprint was a bit tasty … but, then, it was a Triumph! :grinning:

Looks a bit like the 80’s BMW 3 series!

Yep

Sprint

1 Like

Better than the Toledo, which we had when I was a kid.

Remember lusting after one as a young sprog, never bit the bullet as the ones I could afford were all rotten near the front hinged bonnet.

Not “Hotel Touring” by any chance? (renamed Alpine Touring Hotel since we last stayed there)

Family run hotel, the lady that owns it ran a Triumph Street Triple, but it must be nearly 10 years since we last stayed there, stopped there 4 or 5 times over the years.
Haven’t finalised any plans for next year yet but quite possible we could meet up if you like and dates coincide, we usually go late June early July for 3 weeks (can’t rely on the passes being clear any earlier).
Will only be a couple of days in the Dolomites, getting older now so trying to cut back the daily mileage but then there’s less down time in the good spots. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

We’re in Vigo di Fassa

https://maps.app.goo.gl/PGPotStDAeZLxoMK8

Last two weeks of June. We have an entire converted barn at our disposal.
More than welcome if you’re around.

1 Like

Nearly a whole mile from the hotel we normally use then. :laughing:
I’ll PM you when our plans/dates are sorted. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Would be nice if we could make that work! :grinning:

1 Like

How long will the trip take you? It sounds amazing!

I’ve got a two week pass, Andy! That should be enough. I think.

2 Likes