Bimble to the Bovington Tank Museum

Day out to the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset. Travelled from Bath via the A36 and the A350 through the Deveralls. Museum was well populated but I managed to get into the Cafe/Restaurant before the crowds for the obligatory bacon butty.
There is plenty of bike parking and there was four bikers there when I arrived. The bikers were traveling on hired bikes through Wales, through Liverpool, through the Lake District and to Scotland and then on to where they hired the bikes in Woking. Good chatting with them.
Lots of tanks to see and lots of history to read up on.
A very pleasant day out and with the ticket you can return throughout the year.

15 Likes

Small note - the museum is more of a blokey thing than shared interest.

1 Like

2nd small note - although there is motorcycle parking there is no facility to store your helmet or jacket. Before Covid they were happy to look after your equipment behind the reception desk/office but I am not sure if this is still the case.

1 Like

Smashing, one of my favourites, then over to clouds hill for a Lawrence moment :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Yes, a superb day out - I think the worlds largest collection of tanks? (I may be wrong).
Also a trip to Clouds Hill for us as well! :sunglasses:

“the museum is more of a blokey thing than shared interest.”

Luckily it’s a shared interest for us - she was the one who blagged us access to the Chieftain, which is why she ended up as tank commander and I got the gunners seat.

Not the first time! :joy:

8 Likes

Not been to the tank museum for years; I visited when I was a young lad and enjoyed it a lot. I bet it has changed significantly over the ensuing years.

Yes they have WW2 tanks now. :rofl:

Dumb question coming up from a non military person
( Well I was in the TA briefly many moons ago now ). Do tanks come with A/C or are they convertible like a lot of Russian tanks these days. :wink:

1 Like

“Dumb question coming up from a non military person
( Well I was in the TA briefly many moons ago now ). Do tanks come with A/C or are they convertible like a lot of Russian tanks these days”. :wink:

Taken from Tank World

No A/C! Advanced modern tanks like the Abrams don’t have air conditioning for the crew . (Though the latest model has a “Thermal Management System” to keep the computers cool in the desert.)

1 Like

I think the converted Russian tanks are done to special order by a Ukraine company called N. LAWS - or something like that. They’ve been doing good business recently and will, hopefully, prevail with the remaining orders that seem to keep rolling in from the east. Hope so, anyway. :wink: