Bonneville Running Rich

So peeps i just had the carbs all refreshed and rebuilt. But no change at all still super rich. Any one got any idea’s what to try next,
Joe

Describe the symptoms, wet sooty plugs? Etc…

2 Likes

PatW
No they are dry sooty and very black, If i rev the bike hard it bellows black smoke from the exhausts. It has around 11 thou on the clock.
Joe.

Hi Joe, black smoke suggest to me that the engine is burning oil.

Black smoke is definitely an indication of too much fuel in the mixture, you reinstalled the air filter box didn’t you? It could be an obstruction in the airbox or maybe a really filthy blocked air filter, does the bike tick over smoothly? Could be lack of air rather than surplus of fuel. Who rebuilt the carbs?

1 Like

Float bowls?

1 Like

Wessa.
If it was black oily soot i would agree but no it is black dry sooty which to me over fuelling but i can’t suss why. Joe

2 Likes

PatW.
Though that but no. Even tried without the filter in the box and again with the filter cover of but no change. But thanks for the info
Joe

Ducatotriumph.
Yes could be. But i had the carbs all rebuilt by Allens Performance. They pressure tested them and ran them on one of their own bikes for two days and said they preformed as they should.
Joe

4 Likes

What carbs are they?

1 Like

How about the choke cable?
Could be sticking?

1 Like

PatW
Mikuni CR Racing.
Joe

Massively over jetted probably

1 Like

PatW
My thought’s exactly but just can’t be bothered with it if i was retired then i would play with it or find OEM carbs. But as it is a dealer has given me a great deal against a 2015 Honda CB500 so i snapped it up.
Joe

3 Likes