Border Raiding, Day Four (The way home)

The last day was to be another long one so I set off straight after breakfast, south this time down a road I hadn’t done before. More sunny moors, which I felt guilty about getting a bit bored of now.

The cloud was thickening up though as I neared Hawick.

Hawick turned out to be that large, tedious to drive through town I remember from last time I was this way. Nearly three miles of 20mph speed limit. :frowning: But after an eternity I was back onto country lanes and things were brightening up again.

The B6357 through the forests has a lot of new looking road surface and I didn’t dawdle until turning off towards the Kielder Forest, for what turned out to be my last sunny stretch where I also crossed over the border.

Riding through Kielder Forest the skies got greyer again and my mind started to get into the ‘going home now’ state. However, when a GS coming the other way turned off at a ‘viewpoint’ sign I decided that perhaps I should make the most of being here and turned back to see what the view was. I didn’t find out though, as the sign said 1/2 mile and I could see now it was a steep gravel road. Not for me. Turning back around I headed of toward Bellingham at a moderate pace, with a few spots of rain appearing on my visor.

After fuelling up and putting a jumper on, I was just following satnav to get past Hexham until I got to the North Pennines, the final scenic section of my planned route. I had though I’d been on these roads before, but they didn’t look familiar, perhaps it was just the weather that made the road to Stanhope have a moody and alien feel.

After a lunch stop at Barnard Castle it was off towards the A1 and hours of sitting on dual-carriageway and motorway, punctuated by half hour filtering and waiting to get into a one lane contraflow. :frowning: Every time I was feathering the clutch I was cringing internally thinking about that poor bearing I recently replaced. On the positive front, there was very little in the way of rain that was forecast.

The final couple of hours I had a major case of numb-bum but I pressed on to finally get home after 280 miles, feeling totally knackered. Just enough energy to open a beer and eat a curry Mrs Mouse had cooked :smiley:

14 Likes

What a great break you’ve had. Excellent pictures and report! I enjoyed being there vicariously.

2 Likes

Another great write up, I really enjoyed reliving the route you took as I rode a significant number of the roads during tours in the area. Brilliant :slightly_smiling_face:

a very enjoyable thread to read through! Thanks

I’ve really enjoyed reading about and seeing the pictures from your trip. It feels like you’ve declared the riding season well and truly open! :slight_smile:

I hope to be heading up the A701 sometime this year to visit friends and family in Edinburgh and further north. I’m fairly familiar with the Borders having spent a couple of years travelling up from Yorkshire every week, mostly on the A702 though.

Excellent pictures and write up throughout :+1:

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts - you’ve really brought the ride alive. Thank you. :+1:

1 Like

Looks like you had a great trip. One or two of us have ridden the roads around that area when we held GMU’s (Grand Meet Ups) at Bellingham with the “other” forum. As you say, there is some great riding and scenery in the borders, as your pictures admirably show.

1 Like

Cheers @BrownMouse great read

Thanks everyone for the praise :blush: Any yes @Octoberon, I officially declare the riding season open!

5 Likes

Thank you once again for the beautiful photos and write up.

1 Like

Cannot disagree with any of those comments! A great ride and a great read! Thank you.

1 Like