Budget winter jacket

Ok, in a similar vein to the budget helmet thread. My current textile jacket (Richa) is ok for 3 season use… but it’s too snug (must have shrunk in the rain) to get a decent wodge of thermals underneath… and in the heavier weather, I’ve resorted to wearing a rain suit over the top, which doesn’t feel comfortable whilst riding.
(I recently had the opportunity to trial some excellent 2nd hand Held textiles from @HelmutVisor, but again they were too snug. :frowning:

So what winterable jacket would you recommend (due to experience) to the budget minded biker… somewhere near the £200 mark please

You know you can get jackets in different sizes, right? :wink:

Merlin Neptune 2 WP :wink:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_style/12934
I have the Merlin Kurkbury waxed cotton jacket and it’s great quality and made in the UK to boot :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well now you say it… :thinking:

But the point is to look at what may be better than my present jacket and help inform the rest of the forum of budget friendly options!!!

Touché. You make an incontrovertible point and I shall retire to my day job. :grin:

Why don’t you get a wet over jacket? I sometimes use one and a lot less faff than an oversuit. They are about £50.

1 Like

I guess my thought process is… with a new, larger jacket… I can get more warmer clothes underneath, should I need them, or that it’s generally less tight for carrying extras like glasses; and if it’s good quality, I won’t need the rainsuit/extra jacket

2 Likes

I would have a look at the reviews in Ride magazine for recommendations. I have a Rukka, which is a little bit over your budget :slightly_smiling_face:

Like @Bolosun I wear Rukka kit. To be honest my last suit lasted well over 10 years, I renewed it this year. And while it is above your budge in the long run a new jacket every couple of years a rukka is likely balances out.

You could check these out.

Good luck with your search.

2 Likes

I miss hein gericke, they had some decent options. These days i have a two piece turcano urbano suit, never lets a drop in and the jacket fits in one pocket and the trousers in another. Top gear imop.

1 Like

I bought an Alpinestars Andes a few years ago. Feckin toasty, trousers have removable thermal liners too. I could do a 250 mile winter commute with impunity :slightly_smiling_face:

PS bought it a bit big, also got a 20 quid down jacket from Go Outdoors for really cold days

2 Likes

Would a heated gilet or jacket fit underneath? From my experience they are far better than simply adding layers.

1 Like

Bigger is better when it comes to warm jackets. If you have ample room, you are effectively keeping a layer of air in your jacket, you’ll be warmer. Good shout on the down jacket too. They work well because they hold a lot of air. As a bonus they pack down really small too. Rukka give you a down jacket as the liner on their expensive stuff.

2 Likes

For 200 bucks you can have decent jacket, but none will be really waterproof in that price range.
I’ve bought a nice Bering jacket with an efficient removable warm liner. But as I didn’t want to spend 800 eur, I had to buy rain vest + trousers.
If I plan to spend more, I’ll have a look at Klim or Richa high end stuff (1000 eur!!!).

1 Like

Fully agree.
Still have my +20 years old leather jacket from them. Everything still works, zipper, etc.

1 Like