Climate change

Science , facts. Nothing else.

Fact is I can walk on the mountains nearby and pick up fossil shells from when this was once at the bottom of a tropical ocean, now 700ft above sea level, I’m not going to panic about a six inch rise over 100 years. The real global threat is population growth ravaging the world’s resources and global pandemics. What we need is population control which will never happen because capitalism doesn’t work without constant growth of consumers, thats why capitalism is a flawed model.

2 Likes

nothing’s perfect. Capitalism had some advantages.
It grows global richness, and at the same time dig discrepancies.
Every economical model needs to change, adapt, etc.
Everyone can do his part if he likes to.
But systematically searching for “who is guilty” "or as Paul wrote “follow the money” imho does not help.
I prefer “what can I do” or “is it all bad” (EV for example).

To stick back to Climate Change subject, it’s too late, temperature is growing up, etc. EV will not change it but can reduce city pollution.
We have no other choice than adapting. Architecture, transport, home office work, etc.

And yes I’m still revving my motorcycle at high rpm, and will travel by plane without any morality concern.

2 Likes

Some advantages for the top 5%

2 Likes

This is the article I was referring to. It also says more than half of car pollution is from brake dust and tyres.

2 Likes

Delving in to the 2022 technical report by the National Ocean Service, the extrapolation for mean global sea level rise by 2100 (so in less less than 100 years) is 1 metre, not 6 inches.(https://aambpublicoceanservice.blob.core.windows.net/oceanserviceprod/hazards/sealevelrise/2.0-Future-Mean-Sea-Level.pdf)

The issue with population control and capitalism/economics is to reduce average age of the population and/or keep them productive for longer. The Chinese model has shown that reducing child births doesnt’ work, and now they’re actually having to encourage to procreate as their population is declining, and aging…It’s a separate problem that also needs to be addressed.

Plate tectonics has nothing to do with climate change in the timeframe we’re talking about now. That wont present the same problem as society would change very slowly along with it and other factors would become far more prevalent to our species’ survival. The current issue is the rate of change and the catastrophic effect it’s predicted to have on human societies, not to mention the ecosystem we literally rely on to live. Massive infrastructure costs, population migrations, deaths due to violent weather events and so on. It could make the Ukraine war, Brexit and Covid look trivial, and we’re certainly not enjoying the effects of those events. We can manage change if it happens over long periods but if it all hits at once things will be very different for our grandchildern, their kids and beyond.

1 Like

A few years ago the politicians told us all to buy diesels to save the planet, they obviously know what they’re doing :man_facepalming:t2:, so I’ll go out and buy an EV now. :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :rofl:
NOT going to happen here.
In a few years there will be alternative solutions, history will repeat itself and EV may well be the new diesel. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Much like Hubaxe, I’m not relying on politicians or activists. I’m interested in what the people say who actually know what they’re talking about. From there we can each choose what to do about it, or not, and take up what’s on offer to satisfy whatever you think is the ‘right thing to do’.

Unfortunately “what’s on offer” is, and will be, dictated by the politicians.

1 Like

I was looking at the actual chart from 1920 until today which is 150mm ie approx 6". They have never been correct with their predictions for sea level rises in the last 50 years.

The actual reason for the 1 child policy was to prevent another famine which saw 20million people starve to death. Same with the collective farms in soviet union. China has been a capitalist society for over 30 years, with some command elements.

Capitalism works on the basis of wage constraint for the majority of workers (drones) and fewer constraints for the hierarchy (queen’s as it were) just a human bee hive. We live longer but we also live more healthily in general. The squeeze is on because lots of manual jobs have been replaced by automation, not everyone can be an administrator, we subcontracted the actual manufacturing (dirty) work to other parts of the world (Thatchers dream) but the countries that manufacture things are the places that are doing the best.

1 Like

Hockey stick included. Lengthy but a good discussion with someone who is paid by insurers to predict changes in sea levels and climate
Start at 3 minutes in