Comfortable Sports Tourer Recommendations?

Greetings!

I have been umming and ahing about my best options for long distance touring lately because my current 3 bikes are not really built for long journeys, they have no luggage capacity and are also too uncomfortable for more that just a day out.

I nearly bought a new Tiger 1200 GT Pro but could not justify the £18K price tag :scream: and I think a Sports Tourer would be better for me than an adventure bike anyway.

I am 6ft with long legs (steady now!) so I need a higher comfort seat to prevent cramping.

What would you consider (Triumph or otherwise) in the region of £5K second hand?

Cheers

Geoff

1 Like

Don’t know about pricing but big Kwackas always seem to please. Z1000SX or the Z1400? Or you could buy a B*W (shudder):smiley:

1 Like

Sorry guys but…BMW R 1100-1200 twin, probably come with luggage and theyre plenty roomy. Avoid the GS’s, overpriced and over rated.

2 Likes

The Z1000SX is a nice looking bike :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I never thought of an old Beemer, they do look comfortable :+1:

2 Likes

And more nimble than you might imagine.

2 Likes

The Kawasaki would be my first try too!

2 Likes

Z1000SX has loads of shove and looks nice. You can get an earlier type at that money. Otherwise Sprint 1050, superb tool. :slightly_smiling_face:

PS I hope to get a Z1000SX myself next year :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I had an R100s in the 80’s when i was regularly going home to Ballyfermot every weekend, brilliant bike but they’ve all been café racered by hipsters by now. The R1100/1200s are ugly but very capable and easy to work on.

1 Like

+1 for the SprintST 1050, I had one for 5 years, good OE luggage if a little restricted on capacity. SWMBO liked the pillion, quite high compared to rider so good forward vision. Go for a later steel tank version ('08> I think), a few bugs were fixed by then.

2 Likes

And if you do buy a Sprint, get a red one. Apart from being the fastest colour, I have a Bagster tank jacket for one, complete with clips for a tank bag… :laughing:

1 Like

And, by the way, either of those bikes completely outclasses a VFR of any stripe, whatever Hondaistas may try to tell you. :slightly_smiling_face:
Other big sports tourer I’ve owned was a ZZR1200. Had it sixteen years. A sofa with a rocket engine strapped on. Big, ugly but brilliant on juice, regularly was doing 200+ miles between stops, comfy, very easy to cover distance quickly. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the responses so far, I didn’t expect so much so soon :+1:

Is the Sprint GT 1050 just a newer version of the Sprint ST 1050?

Not quite, different seat, lower, uglier exhaust, longer wheelbase. More stable, less sporty :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for being so candid :+1: :rofl:

The sprint St 1050 is ok, but if you want something a bit higher I’d look for an africa twin.
My Sprint St is fantastic on motorways, but despite bar risers, could be more confortable.
And it’s not the best for the pilon. (I bought an old Goldwing 1200 for madame)

1 Like

I like the Africa Twin and Tenere but always thought they look too narrow. Perfect for me height wise but what about seat comfort? :thinking:

4 Likes

Blimey that’s a deal :+1:

1 Like

And bigger luggage capacity.
ST or GT … depends whether you’re more Sport or more Touring.
I loved my ST but I’m 14 years less fit now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Grey is best by the way :grinning:

3 Likes