Detecting dangerous driving

Not sure about this, is it the way forward or just hit anyone with fines.

1 Like

An interesting scheme. Whilst I accept looking for folk not wearing seat belts is a safety issue, it is not the most compelling in my mind. However, using a mobile or tail gating definitely are worthy of of capturing and to be honest I would not be issuing warnings, but prosecuting folk. There is enough evidence to warrant doing this straight away. This would have an immediate impact on road safety.

1 Like

I would be happier with picking up unlicensed, uninsured, drink/drug impaired, poor vehicle condition, poor driving skills/ terrible driving drivers than someone not wearing a seatbelt. We have had a spate of fatal vehicle vs bike accidents in the area recently and nearly every one was a vehicle driver impaired by drink or drugs.

3 Likes

Although I always wear a seat belt and insist my passengers do, its a bit of a personal choice thing. Phone use driving i would give an automatic 6 month ban.

2 Likes

With todays technology there is no excuse to have your phone to your ear while driving. Its the fecking texting and social media thats the problem. See it all the time, drivers gazing at their crotch :rage: and I agree, its this that needs an automatic ban.

5 Likes

I’ve seen research that suggests using a phone while driving is as dangerous as being drunk. I can believe it. I’ve also seen research that shows talking on a hands-free is significantly distracting and impairs safe driving. Clearly the former is going to be more dangerous than the latter, but where should the line be drawn?

2 Likes

Talking to passengers.
Having unruly children in the back.
Listening to the radio.

Lots of things are distracting in a car, you can’t make everything illegal.

Children should definitely be illegal.

I have yet another grandchild, arrived 3 weeks ago, fortunately in Stockholm :joy: though theyll be visiting here Christmas :flushed:

3 Likes

And passengers wittering on about something they saw in field three miles back :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like