Diesel and petrol car sales extension

I’m not buying the global conspiracy theory on this one. Are you really suggesting the world’s scientific community is being bought? And even if they were, what would be the point?

Data, measurements and research has been going on for 50 years. They’re all in broad agreement about what’s happening. There’s no hype in the more science-oriented press. That last image I posted shows the change (or not) based on a 1960’s average going back quite a long way.

1 Like

No, thats not what I said. I said scientists can be bought much like politicians can, an example of that was the scientific report on the origin of covid. You need to look at where the funding comes from. Its never that simple. And what even is the global conspiracy theory?

1 Like

Ok, so some scientists are being bought and they agree with all the ones that aren’t. :grin:

I think this graph explains the problem and that banning the internal combustion engine in cars isn’t going to make a fat lot of difference.

Global population has increased from 2.5 billion in 1950 to 8 billion in 2023. I’m guessing culling half the planets population wouldn’t be a vote winner.

1 Like

This thread has got me concerned.
I’ve decided that so I can keep my ICE motorbikes for a bit longer, I’m not going to have my second cup of coffee in the mornings. Save on my leccy bill as well.

Ah, go on have another coffee. It will postpone the stress of a bad batting session :wink:

Thanks for the reminder….!

Yep, that’s the problem, over breeding, that causes ALL the current problems more so than scientific answers. What we need is more ‘vaccinations’ with undisclosed ingredients to lower the population or maybe some good old honest wars. No amount of thought will win this as its nature at its best.
As many intellectual people out there to play chess, the guys who do best are the ones with average IQ’s and common sense quoted from ‘Derren Brown‘

Vaccinations since Louis Pasteur, including the recent one you mention saved millions of lives. Facts.

Didn’t say it didn’t save lives, but in today’s world with the hushed secrets of ‘behind the scenes’ who do you really take notice of?

There’s a word for that.

1 Like

Can you make a difference between “fantasized secrets” and a balanced view.
You don’t say vaccin didn’t saved live but you are suggesting some “secret interest” put our something to kill people ! :upside_down_face:
Yes there’s a word for that.

1 Like

To stick back to the main subject I just agreed to buy … a diesel car…
Because it doesn’t exists in petrol anyway.
To help me doing work in the house, travel & camp to the artic circle, or Scotland to carry a lot of gears to play music, and face the rarest snow we still have there, the perfect vehicle is a pickup. I agreed with a friend that ordered a new one to buy his old one.
But the important criteria is it’s “critair 2” classified (thanks ad blue tech). We still will be able to enter green zones and travel north countries.
It’s the moment to buy those. Most of the makers stop them (including Mitsubishi, Isuzu) because they can’t reach the futur environmental requirements.
Here is my current polluter and my soon to be mine extra polluter. :grinning:

3 Likes

It could give a whole new dimension to the national lottery. The losers get to report to their local recycling centre on Monday morning.

Seriously though, without some form of population control, climate change is something we are just going to have to live with. Hopefully we’ll develop technologies in the future to mitigate it, but the one thing humans have been very good at over the past few hundreds of thousands of years is adapting to a changing environment.

1 Like

Buying a second hand vehicle is much kinder to the environment than buying a new vehicle - even a new electric vehicle :+1:

3 Likes

Here near the swiss border, the ecology and recycling/waste had a strange impact.
In Geneva county, the bins weights are measured, and every house pays a waste tax by the kilogram.
The french houses near the border saw a BIG increase of garbage bags coming into their bins. Police had to do something against. :laughing:

Yes I much prefer a common sense approach to motoring, ask yourself what does a mile (or in hubaxe measurements) km cost you? Is it worth £40k for an electric vehicle vs a £2-3k on a sensible used diesel car if you include all environmental damage manufacture and then running and depreciation and government taxes?

1 Like

well, to me it’s more a question of use of the vehicle. If I’d have to commute to work every day in a battery range mileage, I’d certainly consider an electric vehicle. But not for the environmental reason only. Just to have something easy to live with. No maintenance, charge at home/work, etc…

2 Likes

So the joke here is, you buy supermarket fruit wrapped in plastic, you buy veg in plastic, sweets in plastic, crisps and pop in plastic and when you go to the checkout they charge you for a plastic carrier because it’s unfriendly to the environment!!

Buying carriers? Who are you kidding; as a Proper Yorkshireman you’ll have been using the same string bag since 1983.

1 Like