Diesel swamp donkey 😜

I’ve a customer a few streets away that’s collared me for some interesting work. He’s got an Enfield diesel and what a shed it is!

He wants me to make it with more ‘patina’ and change the industrial look to more vintage

7 Likes

Sweet… why not convert the diesel plodder into a gennie and power an electric motor for more power and better acceleration? Diesel gennies go back to the early 1900’s don’t they… :thinking::wink::smile:

Edit… put a sidecar on it, batteries in the floor panel… sorted!

2 Likes

That looks pretty good - always liked the military look.
Can’t imagine how slow it is though :grimacing:

Dried blood and a few stick on bullet holes, definitely needs gaitors.

1 Like

Gaiters is one of the jobs along with for shrouds and period headlight bowl. I’m just making an alloy engine casing side cover to dump the dumper look and make it more vintage bike. Taking a bit of time but it’s fun. There’s an air filter change too

2 Likes

That looks just fine to my eye. Why mess about with it?

It’s missing frontal suspension leg parts making it look naked and modern. It’s what the customer wants.

Paint the handlebars too, front lamp shell is fine, just needs the glass painted to leave an oblong peephole, reg plate on front mudguard.

It’s down to the owner for slosh on stuff. I’m doing the impossible!

1 Like

Have you seen the " doghouse" on YouTube customiser who works mostly with Enfields talented too.

1 Like

Put some pretend rust on it, like this one…

6 Likes

@3speedlowslowgo Not seen him although sounds interesting
@Iron yes seen that stuff before but it’s not meant to be very very shiny :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Back to the project……
I made the engine cover from sections of aluminium but…… forgot to take stage pics unfortunately. I also made a new air box from some other parts. When I get a second I’ll take a pic and post the fully made crankcase cover but for now I’ve been in headlight bowl mode….

This are the old pics and the new version is made from an old Mz bowl with a few mods.

To be continued……

10 Likes

Brilliant. It’s going to look the business. Well, it already looks the business. :sunglasses:

Oh, if only I could weld. I try, I really do, but it always turns out like a dog’s dinner.

2 Likes

That round thing with the brass screws in (an ikea table leg mount incidentally) will resemble a light switch and the forward screw will be removed and a blue LED dropped in for high beam. This customer wants the look of mystery but not bothered by functionality.

Regarding welding, our young @Andyc1 has just bought a new welder and although he’s a joiner and used to wood has also learnt to weld well now but the secret is it’s down to the machine. Most who want to learn fail with poor machines as the better machines are forgiving and it does pay to not buy what the ‘herd’ gets.

2 Likes

I paid £400 to do a welding and fabrication course at llanelli college when i was in my mid fifties, worth every penny as I built loads of bits during the course and 3 or 4 years later I was still dropping in in the evenings to use their migs and scrounge sheet metal. P.S. great progress :clap:

4 Likes