Engine malfunction light

Hello everyone , the engine malfunction light has just appeared on my 1999 Sprint . It still rides well with no apparent signs of distress . Any clues on where to start looking ? . Regards to all , Brian . ( workshop manual on order ) .

I am afraid I can’t help with your question - but wanted to say welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum Brian. If its a random minor fault, the light may go out on its own after 3 cold-hot cycles. It would need plugged in to see what the fault is though, unless you have an error code on the dash? I’m not familiar with the bike, can’t really offer much help.

Welcome to the forum, Brian

The problem with the engine light is they tend to be a generic ‘something is wrong’ indicator. It mivht just be a sensor that failed but as Andy says, whisk it down to a dealer/garage who can pull the code out if that’s possible.

I’m sure there will be more, and probably better, advice along after mine. Let us know how you get on with it.

Try as andy suggests 3 cycles may clear it, if not, buy a cheap generic code reader-£20-30 on fleabay -plug into the ODB plug and get the fault code then google the code, cheaper than half hours labour at a dealer and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and you have a code reader for future use-win win.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum

Hi and welcome, the guys have provided the answers to your query. :grinning: