Ferry to Norway

Evening,
Has anyone on here used the new ferry from Eemshaven in Holland to Kristiansand in Norway? Just starting a rough plan for the Arctic circle next year and think this new ferry might be a great way to get to Norway.

Not used this ferry. When I did a tour of Norway I got the ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger. Unfortunately it does nor run any more, which is a shame.

I’m not sure but l think @TallPaul may be using it round about now. Hopefully he"ll post something up in due course :slightly_smiling_face:

He will…in due course… Leaving next Tuesday and crossing to Norway on Thursday afternoon.

2 Likes

Good egg, l’m looking for late spring/early summer next year, albeit in the car :slightly_smiling_face:

My friend in Norway sent me this, lets hope it comes to fruition. It’s been on Norwegian TV too, so fingers crossed.

1 Like

Do we know what it says, exactly? Where’s @Erling when you need him? :smiley:

Sadly my friend didn’t translate it. But it’s an ongoing project that seems to be gathering momentum. I might try and type it into Google translate when I get time, and that will give us a bit more to go on.
Either way I hope it comes true, it’s a right royal pain on the back side getting to Norway now. It could also be good for trade between the UK and Norway. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

From what I can make out there is a chance that ferry is being restarted from Stavanger to Newcastle and Bergen features in there somewhere :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry about that, normal service now resumed. It briefly states that there is an ongoing process hopefully ending in reopening of the Newcastle - Bergen - Stavanger ferry line, with the ambition to start sailing in 2026.

Let’s hope they make it this time. A few years ago the port authorities in the three cities stood behind a report describing the potential and what kind of vessel that would fit. Apparently it could work with the proper mix of cargo and passenger facilities, but nothing more came out of it.

When the ferry line that started in 1890 folded in 2008, it was a result of cheaper air fares and rising costs of fuel.

2 Likes

Excellent, thank you for the translation. 2026 is a bit late for my purposes but it will be good to have the proper link between countries again.

Direct ferry link between UK and Norway could be set for return

A ferry link between Bergen, Stavanger and Newcastle could return after Bergen Cruise Line announced it would begin raising the funds to bring the route back.

Published: 7 July 2022 11:00 CEST
A ferry route between Newcastle and Norway could return by 2026. Pictured is a ferry in Norwegian waters. Photo by Vidar Nordli-Mathisen on Unsplash
Since 2008 there has not been a ferry link between England and Norway after the old ferry between Bergen and Newcastle stopped operating.

Now, however, the route could be set for a return from 2026 after Bergen Cruise Line announced it would raise capital to fund a new ferry between Bergen, Stavanger and Newcastle.

“We will re-establish an all-year direct high quality, cost-efficient, low emission cruise-ferry route between Norway & England,” Bergen Cruise Line said in a press release.

The company has said it would offer departures three times a week during peak season and twice-weekly trips throughout the low season.

Beginning in Bergen, the ferry would stop in Stavanger before continuing to Newcastle in the northeast of England.

According to Bergen Cruise Line, the ferry would be more than 200 metres long and have the capacity for 2,380 passengers.

In the autumn, the firm would begin the process of raising 2.1 billion kroner for the project.

Several companies have tried to bring the route back before. Both in 2013 and 2016, projects were launched to bring the ferry between Norway and England back, but to no avail.

Bergen Cruise Lines (BCL) is developing the next generation cruise ferry concept reconnecting UK with the Norwegian west coast.
The BCL concept is a large cruise ferry of 210 x 31 meters with the capacity of 2 380 passengers and 200 crew combined with a large car deck and cargo capacity. A concept designed for maximum capacity utilization in high and low seasons combined with extensive onboard cruise offerings and revenues.
This leading edge cruise ferry concept is being developed by a highly experienced team with expertise in all aspects of designing and operating this type of ship. The team also has in-depth knowledge and experience with the planned UK - Norway route and market. The ship will be built at a highly competitive cost level by a leading shipyard. The BCL team is co-operating with Fosen Yards and other premium suppliers ensuring solutions and quality adapted to the European market.

The investment estimates are a total of 2 230 MNOK (ship building
cost 2 100 MNOK) with 635 MNOK share equity and aiming to exceed 15% ROI.

4 Likes

Well, I’m back! The Romantica ferry from Eemshaven to Kristiansand was brilliant. Although not new, it was clean, comfortable and staffed with a lovely crew. It was a proper cruise experience with a choice of decent menus in several outlets and loads of free entertainment to a reasonable standard. I would use it again without any problem.

4 Likes