Harz Mountains

OK, all being well I hope to do these next year. As you can see I’ve done 1 route, my question is this, do you think 1 day doing this route is enough, or do you have some other routes that really are a must to do.

I’ve not booked anything yet, so I’m flexible with regards to the time. I’'ll bung this on the other forum too. The more the merrier, so they say. Cheers in advance
y45

4 Likes

Not been to the Harz, but if at all possible l’d consider splitting that. If my experience of the Mosel valley is anything to go by, you’re likely to want a fair few stops. So many nice places, so many do cake…

2 Likes

I’d agree with the Rev. Once you’ve gone to the expense of getting over there it would be a shame to just wizz round and not do it justice. I’m sure there will be many places you would wish to stop and have a good nosey around. I would also like to do this area of Germany sometime as well as the Black Forest.

1 Like

Both suggestions above are very valid points. And I’m taking your advise, I’ve provisionally booked a hotel for 3 nights now, and I will split that route into two. You’re both right, there’s no point in going round like a lunatic, when 2 days would allow me to just take it easy. I do tend to stop a bit and take lots of pictures, so I really should have realised that in the first place. Thanks chaps. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Have to agree, the mileage is easy for one day but you’ll probably come home and wish you’d seen more.

1 Like

I’ve done the Harz a few times. It’s a brilliant part of Germany. I usually stay at a great biker hotel and then potter around each day. There’s lots to see from beautiful countryside and roads to historic areas as this was the border of the old DDR (East Germany). Also there’s a major concentration camp in the area.
If you have a big appetite too there’s a restaurant which serves monstrously large meals (not to be missed). There’s also a fabulous motor museum in the area which has loads of bikes and cars. Best museum of its type that I’ve seen.

2 Likes

I feel there is a little information missing! :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

1 Like

Hell yeah… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what’s the place called?

Oh come on DC, I’d recognise that cuisine anywhere, its McDonalds.

1 Like

I’m learning this with my German course-they have such long words and a long winded means of speaking. Over here it would just say “Menu for greedy bastards” :smile: :laughing:

When I was there last year it was completely full, so anyone thinking of going needs to reserve a table, otherwise you might end up have to go to Burger King which is definitely not what you want.
I’ve been to this place twice now and the food is really good.

What an awesome menu… I had to forward it to my son… he wants to go now! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

The concentration camp I mentioned is called “Mittelbau Dora” and was where inmates/prisoners were forced to build V2 rockets in tunnels underground. You can visit the tunnels with a guide which was interesting however the guide only speaks German. There’s a museum there and you can also walk around the grounds.
The other very interesting place to visit is the old DDR border crossing at Marienborn. For me this was a special place as I passed through here 3 times back in the 1980’s on my GS550 during the DDR days.

2 Likes

Went there a few years ago.

I may join you. When are you planning to go?

August next year, but nothing set in stone as yet.

1 Like