Haynes Manuals - digital vs paper

I’ve no experience of online manuals, I went for paper ones as like everything nowadays, if it’s ‘cloud’, ‘smart’ or online you aren’t actually buying anything, your just paying for a service that the company can decide to disconnect or stop at any time, or the company can go bust.

1 Like

Indeed, though Haynes seem to be an exception to the rule.

They could still go bust. Or the service can go offline for a protracted time due to faults or hacking, or disputes with IT suppliers. Or they could decide the aren’t going to support the particular access methods that you are used to. Guess I’m a control freak, don’t like putting myself at the mercy of others :wink: (E.g. my email server sits under my desk :slight_smile: )

But then I could also lose the book, spill something on the pages or lose it when my house burns down. :grin:

I take a similar approach with data. My NAS is mirrored and the vital information is back up to cloud storage every night.

I could pront all the Haynes manual pages (there’s a button to do so) if I wanted a hard copy backup. Speaking of backups, I trust you’re storing your mail server’s offsite in a fireproof safe. :wink:

No, but I have duplicates for all my essential hardware at home and I have a fallback server hosted in German, to receive email if home hardware fails (or more likely the crappy ADSL goes down).

1 Like

It’s not a proper workshop manual it it doesn’t have oily fingerprints and tea/coffee stains :laughing:

Can you save the entire online version as a pdf. Best of both worlds.

Neal beat me to it.
If you can print the Haynes manual then you should be able to “print to pdf”.
I also keep all my relevant owners/workshop manuals as pdf on my phone so they’re accessible while out and about.
And of course can print off any pages you want from the pdf file at home.

You can print to a PDF file but I don’t think there’s a way to print the whole manual in one go.

1 Like