Haynes Manuals - digital vs paper

Has anyone got experience of the online vs paper Haynes manuals? Both are £23 from Haynes. The only difference I can see is that the online one has extra videos.I’m not sure how many or what value they add. I’m looking to understnad the pros/cons of the content, not just that people like a ‘proper’ manual’. :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t have any direct experience of the Haynes videos…but if they are as poor quality as the photos have become in their hard copies … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve got loads of vintage manuals stored on the computer - when i try to refer to them it’s always a pain to stop what I’m doing, get my brain into another mode and look at the manual on the screen.
A paper one is miles easier to refer to.
I now ask the Admin Staff to print me a copy off of both the parts catalogue, the workshop manual and put the pages into a folder for me before I start any work.
They get a bit grubby but make life easier.

3 Likes

Does the online version come with greasy thumb prints? (You know you need them, right?) :slightly_smiling_face:

paper all the way. don’t like to put my dirty greasy fingers on a tablet.

That’s encouraging. :smile: I can’t find any preview pages on the t’internet. It won’t be the only resource to hand so I guess I’ll have to take whateve is on offer.

The Haynes site notes that digital manual pages can be printed out. I suppose the obvious question would be, if you’re going to print them out why not just have a book? Not always an option, of course.

No, but you can put them all over an iPad screen and wipe them off easily when the job’s finished. :grin:

1 Like

I have had both and found the paper quality to be poor although some pages are printed on decent paper.
I also believe the digital version is a subscription that requires renewal on an annual basis.
With the on-line version there are many ‘Hot Links’ which does help with navigation.
During my year subscription (I did not renew) I downloaded the complete manual and print of as and when I need information. The videos do not work on the expired and downloaded version.

I had a look through the FAQs on the Haynes site and found this about subscriptions:

And this on new manuals:

Thank you for the correction. It was five years ago that I went for the on-line version and that did expire after one year. Good to be corrected.

Sounds like you can keep your manual but there is a charge, which sounds a bit cheeky.

I just have the Triumph Workshop manual for my bike, happily purchased…and got it printed. I prefer it to Haynes…and a fraction of the cost.

1 Like

Second hand on fleabay?

I personally prefer the paper Haynes manuals for both cars and motorbikes because the down side of them being online is that you need a tablet or laptop to hand to see them online, which not ideal when you’ve got oily hands and have to keep waking up your device between uses.

Paper just seems quicker, easier and I just use YouTube for additional video tips. :wink:

1 Like

Would rather have a book myself. Its just more reassuring to have a physical copy.

Wouldn’t disagree with that. I do quite like having everything available anytime, anywhere as a rule but in the case of manuals it’s probably going to be in the garage, at the weekend. Still undecided. :grin:

Advantage of the online version would be that you could just print off the relevant section depending on the task of the day. It doesn’t matter then if you spill stuff on it or cover it in greasy finger prints.

3 Likes

I purchased the paper version some time back, at the time it included the digital version. Has that changed?
I must try logging in and seeing if I still have access.

Just checked I still have access to my online manual.

1 Like

You can get both online and paper versions but it costs a bit more.

I think is was about £20-23 all in with a discount code, which was good value at the time.
I see what u mean now £33 for both

There is a 10% off voucher at the mo, it popped up on my screen i will try and dig it out

Individually they’re £23 for the Triple; supposedly down from £32. You can buy both for £33.

1 Like