How do you hold yours?

Wasn’t sure where to put this…

It’s a confident instruction on the “correct” throttle grip. I don’t hold my grips at such an extreme angle as Ryan seems to imply in the video, but I’m not 90 degrees to the bar either. Generally, I cover the brakes with 1st and 2nd fingers and do a kind of diagonal torsion across my hand (pulling up with 4th and 5th fingers, pushing under with base of thumb) rather than a large wrist rotation. This gives me pretty fine throttle control, independent of braking and inertial body-control… which I think he’s getting at… if I’m really going for it, I might lean in towards the screen and get a bit wristy I suppose! But I don’t think it’s anywhere as extreme as he’s showing…

Opinions?

1 Like

Oh no, not another thing I’m doing wrong it’s a wonder it’s taken 50 years to find out.

1 Like

I watched that last night, it’s one of the few YouTube channels I like. When I did my course with Rapid it was something that the coach checked straight away - I tend to hold the bars fairly loosely, my hand is fully wrapped round but not gripping, but my wrists are pretty neutral I think throughout, I am not aware of any extreme angles (and none were spotted). I am sure as I gain in experience my own style will develop further and this may change - or it may not!

I am a bit of a chronic over thinker / perfectionist but I think at present my control is something that I have been told is good, I don’t get sore wrists or arms and don’t get painful or numb hands from gripping tightly (my tolerance to the cold is another matter!!) so I am content.

3 Likes

Depends weather its a left or right corner I’m in

Looks like he is stood next to the bike not sat on it!

1 Like

Exactly. Glad i’ve seen this as clearly i’ve not been comfortable doing it my own way for the last 40 years…

Loose grip with 2 fingers ready on the brake lever, wrists more or less parallel to the bike but this also depends in the sweep angle of the bars.

I learned the importance of a loose grip when dirt biking, just to avoid arm pump and getting thrown off the bike. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Wow @DCS222 you have FIVE fingers and a thumb! I’m impressed.
So you’ve explained how you use 1st,2nd,4th &5th,…just wondering what you do with the 3rd. :wink: :laughing:

:fu: perhaps :grinning:

Is that not normal??? :thinking: next you’ll be telling me my tail shouldn’t be prehensile!!! :joy::joy::joy:

I’ve no idea whether I’m doing it right or not, but I’ve been doing it for 55 years now and I’m still very much alive, so not planning any major changes…

3 Likes

My grip is enough to hold the bars if there’s some head shaking on bumpy roads but not so tight that my hands get tired or my arm’s aren’t fairly relaxed. I may be covering the brake with one or two fingers, depending on what’s happenng around me. I get comfortable on the bike (different geometries mean different positions) and whatever angle I’m at then is just my style. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Must admit I have never analysed my grip on the bars. I tend to hold a light grip and tighten my grip if a hazard dictates. If I’m using cruise control I often just rest my hand with my fingers extending over the brake level, which is really comfortable.

1 Like