How windy is too windy?

Not just for riding, but for leaving a 200kg bike outside on its side stand.

The weather here is finally warming up on Sunday, but wind speeds of high 40’s mph are forecast. Currently the choice seems to be between sub zero and wet & windy!

I had a bike blown off its sidestand once in a gale. Can’t remember the wind speed. I would try to get the bike into shelter or tied to something if possible.
Winds in high 40s are bad but not outrageous. Gusts up to 68mph are forecast here for Sunday night. :grimacing: Bikes are in garage, but I’ve just been outside lashing down anything moveable as far as I can.

I assume inside is not an option, so leave it in gear, no cover so the wind can blow through, side stand opposite side to wind. As Dave suggests strapping down would be ideal (do you have a ground anchor you could re-purpose?). Failing that, possibly locate side stand in a hole to make bike lean over further than normal.
I still haven’t got used to my S1000XR which leans WAY further than normal, feels so odd I’m usually triple checking I actualy put the stand out as I lay it over. :man_facepalming: Wind is never going to blow that over!

Both my bikes live in the garage so it’s not usually a problem. There’s somewhere I was planning to be on Sunday and was thinking I’ll take the bike, but the forecast is for winds up to 50mph for Sunday and the bike would be in a car park.

1 Like

Happens to the best of us :wink:

Whoops!! Oh eck

In my younger days my bike lived on the street outside and on more than one occasion it got blown over. It got to the stage where every time there was high winds I’d get anxious about the bike. To this day I find myself becoming stressed when there’s high winds blowing outside until I realise consciously that’s happening and tell myself there’s nothing to worry about. This happened even in the years I didn’t have the bike!

Whilst on the subject oh high winds, my first bike test was scheduled on a stormy morning but I still rode to the testing place. Whilst talking to the examiner who was querying if I really wanted to go ahead, the bike blew over in the background, breaking an indicator. So that was a no then. :slight_smile: