Into the unknown

A nice dry, bright day today, so I decided to explore another area I hadn’t visited before, in the north of Cumbria. The day started badly: on the way down the track to the road, I passed a neighbour walking her dogs, two springer spaniels. Exchanging greetings, I rode on, only to have one of the little bastards chase after me and bite my leg. :astonished: (Message to self: buy some longer boots.)
Reaching the road, I’d only ridden about a mile when a woman in a VW tried to kill me by pulling out in front of me without looking. Thanks to Mr. Brembo, I survived. At this point I began to wonder whether someone up there was hinting that I should go home and mow the lawn instead. However, I persevered and the rest of the ride went fine.
Turning northwards off the A75 at Annan, I headed up to Canonbie and turned right just after Rowanburn on to the B6318, evading the border posts as I crossed the Liddel Water into Cumbria near the hamlet of Catlowdy. Back in the 16th century, this was about the most dangerous place to live in Britain, with Liddesdale being home to the very worst of the Border Reivers. Now it is as quiet and peaceful a place as you could wish for.

The empty road wound on, providing long views over unspoiled countryside towards the northern extremity of the Pennines.

A turning on to a single track road eventually led me to Bewcastle, where there is a ruined castle and a church with the stone shaft of a 7th century Anglo Saxon cross in the churchyard.

This is very much Roman Wall country, with a Roman camp at Bewcastle, as the local signpost suggested.

Navigating by the Pennines to my left and the distant Criffel to my right, I carried on along the empty road through more undulating countryside, past Askerton Castle (I told you this used to be a pretty rough area) until eventually coming out at Lanercost Priory.

From there, it was just a few more miles to Brampton, then on to Longtown and Gretna and eventually home. 135 miles in total, and definitely an area I would like to re-visit and explore further, With some longer boots.

13 Likes

That looks like a brilliant day out! (Save the dog and the moron VW driver).

3 Likes

I would certainly rather the dog had bitten the driver instead of me. She deserved it.

4 Likes

You have me longing for blighy already!

3 Likes

That looks excellent! I hope my “luck” with critters hasn’t passed to you though…

2 Likes

Maybe the dog bite was Karma for past comments on your wildlife collisions…

2 Likes

I have to say the evil thought did cross my mind!! Seriously though, I hope you’re not hurting too much.

2 Likes

Just a nasty bruise. Didn’t tear my riding jeans, I’m glad to say.

2 Likes

Border Reivers - the English Heritage guide at Housesteads Roman Fort loves to tell American tourists that the two worst families were the Armstrongs and the Nixons :joy:

4 Likes

Fantastic insight to an area I have not visited before. Thanks for sharing :grinning:

1 Like

There were quite a lot of bad families on both sides of the border. There’s an excellent, well-researched book on them called ‘The Steel Bonnets’ by George Macdonald Fraser, from which I learned that people of my own surname were amongst them. I hope I’m not a direct descendant…

2 Likes

It’s an interesting area. It’s very quiet and feels a bit ‘out of the world’ somehow.

2 Likes

It’s a fabulous place, the roads are even quieter than in North Yorkshire :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Maybe need to put it on my places to visit.

2 Likes