Laptop shopping

Laptop shopping :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I feel your pain :disappointed:

Is that shopping for a laptop or shopping on a laptop?

Itā€™s the shit they try to sell you along with it that annoys me. I once told a young lad to feck off and walked out after asking me multiple times about buying warranties etc after clearly stating I wanted no extras. Not his fault really, theyā€™re trained to sell it :rage:

1 Like

Last year, I had a break in Aberdeen and so the engineer at work asked me to get him a PS5, cos they had just arrived in stock.
It was a 10 minute walk there and 10 back, and I only had a 1/2 hour break.
So got to the shop, asked for the PS5, guy started upselling me, I told him, politely, that his patter was wasted on me cos I was under instructions and, in a hurry.
Guy said, he could refuse to sell it to me and would, if I wasnā€™t willing to listen to his sales pitch.
So I had to stand there and listen to all the offers and promotions.
Fair took my breath away.

1 Like

Itā€™s the myriad of different specs for the same budget, even from the same manufacturer. Unless you are some sort of computer geek then there is no real way of knowing or understanding what all the different things are (processors, storage etc) :nerd_face: :face_with_monocle: :exploding_head:

1 Like

Here you go. All problems solved

1 Like

Iā€™m sure you have probably already been asked but it all boils down to what you intend to use it for, not to sound patronising. I would also take most advise from big chain stores with a pinch of salt.

I want a 14ā€ laptop that doesnā€™t rob me Blind and would see my lad through the next 4 years of universityā€¦ I have no idea if what someone tells me is good or shit advice! :unamused::unamused::unamused:

Iā€™m not really a good person to advise, it would probably be shit advice :rofl: I know a few specific things like whats good for photo editing and CAD design because I read up on them before building PCā€™s for those specific tasks and it was pretty head melting reading, like number of cores and clock speed of a processor vs single thread performance :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Thatā€™s what i mean, there is such a variety of laptops out thereā€¦ I feel 8gb ram, and 250 of ss memory is a minimumā€¦ but I havenā€™t a clue about processors or brands. I will probably looking at Stone Refurb though, rather than new

2 Likes

A quick eBay search found this

The Dell XPS laptops are top of the range and start at over Ā£1000 so this seems like a good deal?

1 Like

Thank you, I will consult with child #1 and pretend I have eyes like a shithouse rat with the knowledge of Solomonā€¦ when really, Iā€™m more likeā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s definitely a nice spec for the price! Is it too good to be true though? I guess these might be repurposed laptops from a business perhaps :thinking:

It would be nice if this is kosher, Iā€™m just a little too skeptical to buy anything like this from eBay or even amazon due to the amount of scammers about. Itā€™s all about the ability to return/ warranty for me :wink:

Most likely from an office/company or liquidation

1 Like

Iā€™m fine with buying from ebay, they are very much on the buyers side in the case of a dispute. Not so keen on selling with them though due to high fees and holding money for sold items. Itā€™s safe IMO, even if you were scammed or sold something that doesnā€™t match the description, you shouldnā€™t have any problems getting your money back. These are ā€˜seller refurbishedā€™ so probably just had the memory wiped, factory reset and given a quick clean. I bought a monitor with pretty much an identical listing and it was fine, you could tell it was used but functionality wise, it is perfect.
I see the listing includes ā€˜make an offerā€™ could always stick a cheeky bid in :wink:

3 Likes

Minimum of 16gb ram and i7 processor chaps. All displays on modern/decent laptops are at least 1080p so donā€™t be fooled with that blurb.
Needs to have a ssd (newer version of a hard drive as its a solidstate one and no moving parts) and usb 3 slots.
Screens size is a personal choice!

4 Likes

i have a gigabyte aero 15 oled creative which is excellent. i7, 4k screen, rtx graphics, 16gb ram.
Made predominantly from metal.
Second hand value seems pretty reasonable considering the cost new. The one and only downside is the battery life, when using away from mains reduce resolution to 1080 and its a lot better.
It depends on what u intend on using it for, i use it for cad and its magic.
i got my wife a lenovo laptop, which has a similar cpu and ram but doesnt have the graphics performance or 4k, lenovo was half the. price but a work horse.