MAG fires first shots on motorcycle ICE Ban consultation

MAG do all this for you for 0.07 pence a day. A bargain I think you’ll agree.

So head over to the MAG website and join up.

https://www.mag-uk.org/motorcycle-action-group-membership/
Do you care ??

News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

MAG fires first shots on motorcycle ICE Ban consultation

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has fired its first shots in response
to the motorcycle ICE ban consultation. MAG is demanding dialogue far
beyond the scope of the consultation. An initial meeting established
fact about potential outcomes to the consultation. MAG sees no
potential for a good outcome within the scope of the consultation process.

Following the publication of the much-delayed consultation on 14th July,
MAG arranged an initial meeting with Department for Transport (DfT)
officials. The meeting took place on 21st July.

Firstly, officials confirmed that the consultation will not consider
questions of ‘if’, only of ‘when’. ‘When’ is proposed to be 2030 or
sooner for 125cc and smaller bikes. For larger capacity bikes the
proposal remains as no later than 2035. Arguments for dates beyond 2035
are highly unlikely to win favour. The officials said a date beyond
2040 is entirely off the table.

Secondly, with respect to claimed technology neutrality, only battery
electric, fuel cells or hydrogen are viewed as options. Hydrogen burnt
in Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) is considered to be highly unlikely.

Finally, carbon neutral liquid fuels for ICE is considered to be nothing
more than a short-term transition fuel for existing ICE. The DfT rules
out synthetic or bio fuels as a solution for the continued sale of new
ICE.

MAG’s Director of Campaigns & Political Engagement, Colin Brown, commented:

“None of this came as a surprise to me. I made MAG’s opposition to the
proposed policy clear. MAG is representing the views of its members
and, we believe, the vast majority of bikers. We will engage fully in
the consultation process, but there is no path to a good outcome. The
discussion needs to go far beyond the limited scope of the consultation.
We have formally submitted a request for an urgent meeting with the
Minister with responsibility for the decarbonisation of transport, Trudy
Harrison MP. If necessary we will continue escalating this all the way
up to the new Prime Minister. First shots have been fired and MAG is
mobilising for a period of intense campaigning.”

MAG is seeking a far wider discussion on decarbonisation and the future
of transport as a whole. MAG Chair, Neil Liversidge, will lead the
Ministerial meetings, backed by both Colin Brown and Lembit Opik (MAG’s
Director of Communications & Public Affairs). In the meeting request
sent to Trudy Harrison MP, Neil wrote:

“I must state that The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) is following the
wishes of its members and the wider motorcycling community in opposing
this policy. I appreciate that this may place us at polar opposite
positions, but I feel it is essential that our position is clearly
explained and considered in a wider context than the current
consultation scope allows.

The measures as proposed will curtail individual freedom, damage the UK
economy, worsen energy security, and reduce living standards for tens of
millions of people, without helping the environment at all. Our
solution will enhance everyone’s quality of life and be better for the
environment, the economy, and our security as a nation.”

A second meeting of the UK Motorcycle Forum (UKM) has been scheduled for
11th August. The MCIA has been quick to express disappointment about
the inclusion of 125cc bikes in the 2030 slot. MAG is far beyond
expressing disappointment, and will fight on.

Contact MAG at 01926 844 064 or central-office@mag-uk.org

2 Likes

If there was ever a time to join MAG and boost the number of voters they represent, it is now.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more with you, but getting people to part with their money, is like trying to fly to the moon. Each to their own I know, but I just don’t get what the hang up is about joining an organisation, that will fight on your behalf to secure the the lifestyle that people say they love. I know in the past MAG was an acquired taste shall we say, but it’s time to look past all that and for people to open up their eyes as to what’s happening. I know someone who it took me years to get to join, and I found out the other day he’d been too busy to re-join, what a load of bollocks, but he’s as tight as a ducks arse, and he regularly wakes up in the middle of the night to see if he’s lost any sleep.

If people want to take it upon themselves to write to their MP or relevant ministers instead, that’s fine. But they rarely do, ao it makes little difference.
It baffles me that the same people who don’t like they way things are done (most of us), and particularly those wanted to ‘take back control’, do nothing. This may come as a shock to some,. but the Transport Minister doesn’t read these forums. :).

They should organise more rallies to clog the streets/ports and motorways, the French know how to protest to draw attention to their dislike of proposed legislation and extinction rebellion get a disproportionate amounts of publicity. Too much talking not enough doing.

1 Like

I don’t think getting bikers to part with their money as such is the problem, we’re generally a fairly generous bunch (various charities seem to be well supported for example). I think the main issue is very much an image problem both for MAG and BMF, they’ve both had internal problems in the past that became public knowledge within the biking community and damaged their reputation (at least with the older generations). I would guess younger bikers don’t even know they exist (I had to Google to check whether BMF was still going). MAG and BMF had (have?) very different images, perhaps they should have merged to gain a wider appeal?
Interesting that either group gets virtually zero coverage in the likes of MCN (why is that?), a quick Google comes up with the likes of these two…

Can’t disagree with @PatW , the French definitely have us beat when it comes to protesting. It seems the biker demographic is very different to the extinction rebellion, we’re obviously not the scary hooligans so often portrayed.

1 Like

It seems Germany is not in favour of the EU ICE ban from 2035, so it may not happen at all. Although Britain isn’t part of the EU anymore, we normally still follow their lead on this sort of thing.

(Germany Is Opposing The Sales Ban Of ICE Cars By 2035)

1 Like

Just out of interest, who whom have responded here are in MAG or the BMF ?.
No hidden agender here, or me wishing to go off on anybody, just a general question that’s all. :grinning:.

For those of us with longer memories, there are definitely some problems with MAG’s image. I don’t think they’re oblivious to that fact, from what I’ve read. It’s arguable they may need to re-brand and get a fresh face out there to attract some new interest and do more to promote themselves effectively with the riders. However, reading the magazine does illustrate the amount of effort that goes in to lobbying and working with politicians and councillors on our behalf. I appreciate them for that. They don’t win every battle but they don’t lose all of them either, and they have exerted influence that has helped to modify legislation. They’ve also got better ties with the manufacturing side of the industry now, it seems. All these groups need to work together so that’s a good thing

Lobbying and working with those in power at a local and national level has to be exhausted before kicking off in the streets. The environmentalists are in that position now and look how it’s doing for their image. What they’re doing is a last resort, not a first response (which they know). When the times comes I’ll organise a whip round to fly @Hubaxe over here to teach us how to protest properly. :wink:

MCN is a newspaper; their primary goal is to sell newspapers (and advertising). They push the headlines that make people fork out for a copy. The campaigns they run are all well and good but where’s the coordination? Again, selling newspapers by picking up on a contentious issue and positioning themselves to look like the good guys. I’m not saying they’re doing anything wrong but let’s not get carried away with thinking that MCN is a motorcycle advocate group.
MAG not making headlines probably goes back to the earlier point about their image. They should probably thinking about how to get themselves more column inches.

Personally, I don’t fit the MAG image that well, but if they’re going to stand up and work in our interests, I don’t mind throwing in a few quid and adding to their membership.

1 Like

Was in the BMF for about 10 years back in the 90’s, nothing since. Not entirely apathetic, I did participate in the Anti Tampering consultation recently on an individual basis (not a user friendly experience).
Largely a hangover of the old MAG image (and apathy) that has stopped me from joining… so far. :slightly_smiling_face:
For me MAG conjures up the image of biker patches and camping in muddy fields :slightly_smiling_face:
Nothing wrong with either I guess, but they’re not for me.
I’m sure you’ll be pointing out neither are compulsory for membership.

1 Like

I joined to support their work, not so much for the club aspect.

1 Like

100% personal choice. It should always be that way too.

1 Like

Was in MAG in the late 70’s early 80’s, went on every rally, anti helmet through London, legshields you name it, sat in smoke filled rooms listening to hours of drivel, dreaming and political types vying for positions, power such as it was. They’re all the same “interest” organisations, from the green party to the luddites. They take as much notice of individual members as the government takes of them. I sign the petitions, which probably ends up wiping someones arse. If you want to take affirmative action, I’ll see you on the barricades, if you want petitions and a quiet word in the transport ministers ear I’m out.

Whenever a few of us suggested we jam the M4 with a few thousand bikes, bring somewhere to a standstill, get some headlines, we got the “Ooh you can’t do that” or “we need to have meaningful negotiations”. That was back when bike sales were 250,000 per annum and biking was a way of life, now it’s a hobby for most with much lower sales. Negotiations are for after the confrontation, not instead of.

1 Like