National Arboretum

Yesterday @AndyPandy and me met on the A34 just south of Congleton and set of for the Arboretum. We traveled down the A34, A513 and the A515 to take us there. A reasonably nice ride in the sunshine, but I was surprised at the number of speed cameras on our route? In some instances they were only a couple of hundred yards apart. Anyway they did not spoil our ride. We arrived at the Arboretum to a friendly smile from the parking attendants, one of which was a biker who was very jealous that we were out on our bikes and he was working lol. All the staff were really friendly during our visit which enhanced the experience.
If you haven’t been it is a beautiful place. There are to many displays to mention and we only managed to see about a half of them in the few hours that we walked around. Here are a few pictures that I took.

The map shows the site.

Processing: 55A0A8F1-BB7A-4635-BA9E-5992EB0573A7.jpeg…
Both Andy and I enjoyed the visit and agreed that we would return :grinning:

10 Likes

In addition we had a bit of fun with “it ain’t half hot display”

5 Likes

Cracking place. Free entry but just book and pay for parking. Me and wifey spent hours there earlier this year and walked miles. Restaurant serves good food and there are lots of snacks available.

3 Likes

Edit: I wasn’t paying attention, we went to a completely different place, the National Arboretum at Westonbirt.

It is a nice place. Me and Mrs mouse stopped off there once on way down to a holiday in Somerset.

2 Likes

If you go on your bike parking is free. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The bad bit is the “Shot at Dawn” section. Really boils my piss. A collection of wooden poles with names, rank and ages of British Soldiers executed. The youngest I saw was 17, the oldest 46 but a lot of kids lied about their age so maybe 14 & 15 year old kids were shot while fat overfed generals sent countless thousands to a pointless death. Like I said, really boils my piss.
Overall though it’s a nice place to visit and it was nice to see lots of school parties there. I think it’s important to learn about our history and not be ashamed of it.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I wasn’t paying attention, I went to a completely different place. The National Arboretum at Westonbirt. Not the National Memorial Arboretum.