New helmet laws in Spain

Visordown are reporting that Spain are responding to an increase in deaths with a proposal to ban the use of ‘jet’ (I presume they mean open face) helmets and making gloves madatory.

Does anyone here still ride with an open face helmet?

I’m not convinced of a correlation between deaths and gloves, or even the open face helmet, and, as usual, the important questions aren’t answered as part of the ‘journalism’.

1 Like

Yes Jet is “open face”.
I would never wear one of those, but I think people may have the choice to wear one if they want.
Sure it’s less secure than a full face helmet, as a sports bike is less secure than a trail.

I had an open face ‘jet’ helmet when I was 16 as it’s all I could afford. Full face ever since. It should be a choice, though.

I assume that applies to scooters?
My impression is that 90% of European scooter riders wear open face, in part I would guess due to limited under seat storage for a full face.
Going to be some unhappy chaps/chapesses (it’ll mess their hair and makeup too :scream:)
And happy helmet manufacturers.

I have and do wear both on the roads… less so since I unloaded the Legend and bought the TDM. I notice that I ride quieter in them

I always wear my Schuberth open face, albeit it has a full length visor. Don’t like claustrophobic full face at all, never have.

1 Like

That will piss off all the Harley riders! :rofl:

Then everyone could get one of these

I wear both open and full face helmets. My full face helmets are flip front, so can ride open face when I want to. This is usually in traffic when it is hot or at low speeds :slightly_smiling_face:

I certainly tend to go for opem face - it’s a totally different riding expereince, although I have to admit I don’t hoon around.

If it’s particularly cold, or when I have a journey that’s primarily dual carriageway, I’ll generally wear full face.

1 Like

I am a very much full - gear type person having seen so many injuries from a work perspective that could have been lessened or avoided by wearing protective kit, but do also value the freedom of choice that we currently have in the UK should an adult choose not to wear anything protective bar a helmet.

2 Likes