New Track Bike

Due to the various ways Triumph lockdown their bikes, I’ve decided it’s time to retire the Street Triple from the track and get something that’s less restricted.
I did want to stick with the Street but the restrictions have become too problematic.

So the Street will have one last hurrah at the end of March in Cartagena.

In the meantime, I’ll be sorting this one out for the track for use after March, no ABS, no TC and also easier to work on so far with no artificial restrictions.

9 Likes

What do they do?

2 Likes

Was wondering that too, there must be a kit loom?

1 Like

There’s the obvious ones like unable to turn ABS off.
But there’s a fair few more issues with the 2020 on Street.
There’s a top speed restriction.
If you change the gearing by more than one or two teeth the it throws a fault light
The ECU is locked up tighter than a ducks a$$, so much so, it’s easiest to replace it with an after market ECU.
There’s no kit loom, just after market std looms that have been customised.
Can’t do anything about the poor display on the std TFT screen other than an AIM dash which would need wiring in.
For more or less the same money as it would cost to get the Street to where I would like it, I got a whole GSXR750 with no TC or ABS to remove, no top speed restriction.
I’ll need to spend a bit on the GSXR, but it’ll work out a whole lot cheaper and it’s also easier to work on generally than the Street.
It’s real shame because the RS chassis, brakes, etc are all excellent, it’s the electronics that are the pain when it comes to track use*.
I did contact Triumph to see if they were doing any sort of race/trackday kit, given that they launched and advertised it in track conditions (same as they have done for the 2023 model), their response was “No, the Street’s not for use on the track” :roll_eyes:

*My old ZX10R had a similar electronics package but it could all be turned off or Kawasaki sold the parts for track use (i.e. a dongle to disable the ABS)

2 Likes

Are you keeping your Street for road use?

1 Like

Initially.
I’ll put the Street back on the road and keep it as a back up for the track while I sort the GSXR out on the track, then decide whether to keep it or sell it once I’m happy with the GSXR.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a drag… knowing there is more performance built into a bike but not being allowed to unlock it!

1 Like

I nearly went for replacing the ECU, but it worked out be over £2500!
I did look at a Daytona 765 Moto2 in my local dealers and was very tempted despite the cost, but after checking, it would have had similar issues.
So I ended up going for the GSXR at half the money…

2 Likes