Northallerton fer a brew

Today’s route saw me popping over to Northallerton for a brew.

7am start, the roads were damp with cold night condensation and residual salt drawing up moisture to the surface. The low sun was struggling with the layers of cloud hanging west of me, occasionally popping out to reveal the twin wheel tracks worn into the road surfaces, as shimmering lanes of doubt.
From Kendal through Sedbergh, the A684 takes you just about all the way… but it’s a grand route, taking in classic biking destinations, such as Hawes, Bainbridge, Aysgarth and of course, the lovely Layburn. The valley sides, carved out over many years by what is now the River Ure, had a frosting of snow/hail up on the heights of Abbotside Common and Askrigg common… it were a la’le bit nippy. But I suspect the rain that came in after my passing returned them to beige grass tussock and limestone escarpments.

Café Nero seemed to be the best option in Northallerton, so a boatload of coffee and a pain aux raisins helped bolster the core temperature and encourage a laissez-faire attitude to the return journey. I didn’t want to retrace my tracks, but also wasn’t too bothered about the Harrogate or Barnard castle options… but looking at the wall of weather that now cut the eastern skies from sight… it looked like a bit south was the best option.
The road to Rippon (A61) was OK but a bit dreary in the light misting drizzle, but the B6265 to Pateley Bridge was OK and then continuing on to Grassington, the weather cheered up a bit again… in fact, I think it was around here I felt warmth from the sun! I didn’t fancy the Skipton option, so I spotted a circuitous northerly option, in a region I haven’t been… and the glorious limestone walled fields on the way up to Halton Gill even provided some lambs to see… which was nice! And then up and over the high moors by Pen-Y-Ghent and down into Stainforth, then Settle. This then puts you on the A65 past Devil’s Bridge and the blast back to Ulverston.

An alright day out, even if I say so myself!

17 Likes

Gorgeous scenery; I have done a fair bit of two - wheeled exploration on a push bike in those parts but can imagine it’s something else entirely on a motorcycle. Thanks for the photos and write - up.

3 Likes

Great route and excellent write up with superb pictures.
Maybe I should do that in reverse one day!

1 Like

If you’re over that side of England, go for it… though I can give you better routes to Ulverston from Kirkby Lonsdale onwards… I just used the first and last section (for me) to get access to the Moorlands

1 Like

Cheers, I might just take you up on that.
Next time you come over this way I’d miss out Northallerton and head for Thirsk.
More cafes in the square and dedicated bike parking.

1 Like

Wonderfully evocative write-up and pictures, DCS.

More whenever you’re ready, please. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What a nice morning read with a cup of coffee.
I love those kind of day trips but must confess the weather has to be dry for me to venture out. That means i probably miss out on a few days here and there when i over-estimate the wetness but i simply loathe getting wet…

3 Likes

@DCS222 nice route, I’ll have to rob it at some point.

3 Likes