Number plates and the EU

The 2nd article had the line “If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.”
So, I stuck a UK sticker on my pannier (didn’t have anything on the number plate anyway) because I was heading to Spain, however from what people are saying it looks like mine didn’t meet the size requirements. If I was just going to France, I think I would have just used the number plate sticker.

Perhaps I’m being a little naive but I always think that as long as you’re somewhere near compliant and not appearing to be taking the piss you’ll probably be ok. I suppose there’s always a chance you’ll come across a particularly obnoxious rozzer…

1 Like

It’s just their way of getting back at us for not getting Gibraltar in the Brexit deal. :laughing:

Look at me and Wessa, matching UK stickers :joy:

Cheap as chips from Amazon mate. :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

Probably because there’s no tax to pay. :unamused:

Matthias Maurer sends his best :wink:

Anything less is just a piece of plastic with some letters on it…

Having been stopped for well over an hour on the French/Spanish border near Arneguy a few years back in the sweltering heat for no known reason other than to check over my paperwork and vehicle I wouldn’t give anyone in authority even a hint of an opportunity to relieve me of any money.
If that means a couple of quid to purchase an outrageously large but compliant £1.99 sticker to legally mooch around Spain where a UK sticker is now required, I don’t honestly see that as being too much of a problem. As a bonus, the ‘mudflap’ it’s attached to keeps the u deride of my luggage free from chain spatter :grin:

2 Likes

Good for you, I’m not sure that something as ridiculously looking will be featured on any of my bikes in the near future. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be taking my chances on common sense prevailing.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, my usual small plate “sans le UK sticker” will be back on the bike as soon as I get back home next week.
Thinking about it, there’s a strong possibility that my legally sized UK sticker is slightly bigger than my small illegally sized UK number plate!

1 Like

The required U.K. stickers for Spain are quite a lot smaller than the ones required for cars and other vehicles. Can’t remember the sizes but google is your friend.

I did try but Google’s not my friend this time, I’ve bought this which is 80mm x 46mm.
But yet to be convinced how legal it is, any clues to reliable information would be great to know.