Panic at the Mothership

Don’t know what’s occuring but there must be a few storm troupers running round like headless chickens at the moment

1 Like

I believe each State sets their own rules on emissions so it seems strange at face value if that’s the whole story. For such a drastic action you’d think it was a serious safety issue, but then again, why would that just affect the US.

I read somewhere else that BMW suddenly discovered that their bikes don’t meet US emissions standards, so this is a USA (and possibly Canada) specific problem.

Big fines incoming?

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks for posting Neal. As the song goes…

Following a recent quality analysis, BMW is pursuing measures to further evaluate the material used in a component of its motorcycle evaporative system, which may not have been produced to material specifications.

Historiically BMW have tended to jump as high as possible when dealing with the Mericans, maybe due to the size of the market. For instance when they had the collapsing suspension issues on the RT they offered loan bikes and all sorts over the pond while over here where they sell far less numbers wise (The 1250GSA and GS sell around 2000-3000 units a month combined and are usually numbers 1 and 2 in sales in the over 1000cc caragory every month) it was wait intil we get the parts so I suspect they’ve set the default to worst case scenario and will now work backwards state by state to see if it meets their individual standard or not.

2 Likes

It must be a nightmare trying to sell anything over there, with such diverse state regulations to comply with and such a litigious population.

2 Likes

Probably more to do with the size of the litigation bill. The same with Land Rover recalls, known faults are actioned in the States first. It takes some serious arm twisting before they treat UK customers in the same way. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes