Pay attention to the work done vs the expectation of work done

My mate has a KTM 1290 Adventure S that was due its major service (valve clearances etc) at about 18k miles. He went to the dealership he bought it from to guarantee the work and asked that they go over it all to ensure nothing else was needed for it.
Now, he does have aftermarket crash bars from HEED on it but nothing to cause an issue.
He dropped it off on Saturday and picked it up on Tuesday. Yesterday we met at the Two Hoots cafe and he complained of a vibration/rubbing noise but couldn’t pinpoint it, hoping it wasn’t internal.
Today he went to a local bike shop near him where he gets his tyres and stuff done and they confirmed the noise that started at 3900rpm and stopped at about 3950. As they were talking about it one of them put their hand on the crash bars and it stopped. When originally fitted there are 4 rubber mounts to damp vibration, when they took it apart they found 3 of them and about 10 washers fell out of the 4th point so they had clearly lost the last one and bodged it with washers :exploding_head:
They then looked closer and discovered the front tyre was worn below minimum and not picked up and they could pull the chain off the rear sprocket and it definitely required a new chain and sprockets.
I am not naming as when he rang the service department they were desperately apologetic and were going to speak with the “technician” concerned and have given him his next service for free but it just goes to prove that going to the dealer does not guarantee good service and always check everything before you leave and if you’re not happy then tell them :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Caveat emptor, always.

1 Like

Shocking state of affairs… where’s the QC?

If your mate wasn’t aware of these issues he probably shouldn’t ride a motorcycle,tyres and chain are the simplest items to be aware of and maintain.I wonder what the brake pads are like ?

1 Like

I had a similar experience with one of my bikes. Checked the brake pads before I took into for a service and thought they looked a bit low, but unsure as I didn’t know how thick they are from new. Had it serviced and they gave you a check list with green for all good, yellow; keep your eye on it and red; it needs addressing. Mine was all green. A couple of days later I decided to check them again as I was going away on the bike and they were nearly on the metal backing plate.

1 Like

I’m glad you always look for the negative rather than concentrate on the shoddy service :smirk:
The point was he thought there were issues so asked them to check everything, with an all clear he accepted the “expert” opinion :nerd_face:

Always look at the negative ? ? ? I am sorry but if you are riding a motorcycle with a chain that could jump the sprocket and well worn tyres and you need an "expert " to verify these issues then i am sorry you are a liability to yourself and others.I am 72 with back issues,it takes me 30 minutes to check then adjust my chain and 30 seconds to check the condition of my tyres.I change the oil and filters between service intervals preferring not to wait for things to get to the point of "they must be done "Also i have found as with my car the larger the dealership the worse the service.

1 Like

I think we’d all agree that it’s a good idea to check the bike over regularly, if not before every ride. A lot of people do just wait for a service report these days, especially when it comes to cars. Modern machinery is reliable and annual checks like MoTs and servicing are relied on to highlight anything that needs sorting out. I don’t think that approach translates to bike ownership so well.

I had a problem recently with my chain suddenly becoming very loose. I check it now and then but it happened while I was out and I wasn’t expecting it as I hadn’t done that many miles since buying the bike. In hindsight, I have no idea how old the chain is, although the sprocket looks in reasonable condition. So it can happen. That’s what breakdown cover is for. :grin: I have (shamefully) been lax with checking tyres in the past and had one completely worn down before I noticed. Lesson learnt - I check them every time.I lubricate the chain these days.

It’s a separate issue raised in this thread that a bike came out of a workshop in such a poor state with no advice to the customer. No one should rely solely on that review but you’d expect it to be highlighted by any decent dealer.

4 Likes

There’s a big move in educational thought that maybe traditional learning methods and environments are failing a lot of people… so imagine if schools had the skills pathway (go on then… and the “arts” pathway) where they could devote time to learning maintenance, decorating, cooking, providing your own food.
Maybe we’d have some amazing engineers (or whichever vocational path you’d end up on ) and less “dependant” culture? :thinking:
I know my son’s a complete divy when it comes to something metallic, oily and potentially worn. (Lesson plan forming :thinking:)

7 Likes

Young uns now can’t do simple maths never mind mechanical stuff. I recently handed over 210 quid for a service that cost 209.67. The guy had to use a calculator :astonished:

6 Likes

Tsk… You would have got my € 0,43 change straight away… :rofl:

8 Likes

My mental arithmetic was poor until I worked in a pub . In the olden days you had to add up the round as you poured the drinks, no Macdonald style till in those days. I used to dread the same round being purchased repeatedly, as I had to remember what I charged them the time before…. :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

As above with the comment. What I find bad is predictive text is doing my thinking process harm, also any ‘lazy’ driver aids is unhealthy too

You should have paid by card you neanderthal :kissing_heart:

1 Like

That’s only because you don’t want to pay for them :rofl:

1 Like

A digital 50 quid after 100 transactions is whittled down to nearly nothing, a 50 pound note after 100 transactions is still 50 quid. Don’t let cash die! How’s that gonna work the next time microsoft has a glitch or the power goes out. I walked into a coffee shop the other week and the 3 customers in front of me all had to walk away because the till was on the blink, I was the only person there with money in my pocket and got my coffee. Same thing has happened to me twice before at petrol stations. I will happily remain a neanderthal with cash in my pocket and use it whenever possible!
Actually got stranded at a toll in France too thanks to cashless. I’d been using my card so frequently for tolls and petrol the bank fecking stopped it on the grounds of possible fraud and there I was stuck in the middle of a motorway at a toll machine with no cash option. Feck that! :rofl:

1 Like

When I was in Norway skiing a few years ago staying at a posh Raddison hotel when I came to check out at the end of the holiday I had a load of cronas left so wanted to get rid of the cash rather than have to change it nack in the UK for a poorer rate then pay the rest on my card. The snotty check out bod wasn’t impressed, we’d prefer if you paid it all on your card sir as Norway is intending to go cashless within 5 years. I’d prefer not to pay at all was my reply. He took the cash in the end. W⚓️

2 Likes

Maybe it was because of the tv bill? :laughing:

2 Likes

I keep telling her not to watch that stuff :rofl:

2 Likes