Proposed Change To Road Tax

Of course for older ICE powered vehicles there’s an obvious, all be it crude, way to tax “pay per mile”. They’re already doing it, tax the fuel (even more).

Could shut the car down to, I’ve no doubt.

Almost certainly!
On their provided app you can also lock/unlock doors and/or start/stop the engine remotely. Call for breakdown or emergency services. Software updates can be done automatically “OverTheAir” etc etc.
It’s amazing and frightening in equal measure.

…Unless of course there’s no mobile signal coverage. :laughing:
(You can always spot me - I’m the one wearing my tin foil hat)

This is all fine provided there’s a strong encryption used between the app and the vehicle.

Exactly (and don’t even get started on keyless start/locking and fob cloning).
On my car forum there are numerous tales where people have bought very expensive cars from non-franchised dealers where the app has not been de-registered from the previous owner. The new owner is totally oblivious to the fact the old owner still can see where the car is and has control of many functions. I think there needs to be legislation to catch up with technology.

1 Like

So much unnecessary technology, which can, and therefore inevitably will, go wrong. Just because they can do something doesn’t mean they should.

Which is exactly why I’m hanging on to my 2015 plate SpeedIII 94R (& a 1994 plate would be even better) :+1:
Was this supposed to be about road tax? :laughing:

1 Like