Richard III

Some culture this evening. No bikes for the journey, sadly, as I strained my back a couple of weeks ago and it’s only just getting back to normal. Still, we are in Stratford-Upon-Avon for some Shakespeare. The RSC play was excellent. Must watch the first two.

5 Likes

And there was I expecting something along the lines of Richard the Tur*. :smiley:

2 Likes

Shakespeare was my nickname at primary and secondary school, when we came to England in 1967 my mother took me to the nearest school to register the headmaster asked my mam “what can he do”? My mam gave him a list, and he replied “he’s well ahead of this lot, bring him back next year” so i had a great 9 months of doing what i liked". First day in my new school our teacher asked “who wrote Macbeth”? Up shot my mitt and a bit too loud i shouted Shakespeare Miss! And that was that.

Ive seen a few plays, Anthony Quayle in the Tempest.
Macbeth at the RSC.
Julius caesar at the Mynach theatre.
Midsummer nights dream at Tintern Abbey.
Brilliant.

2 Likes

There are far worse nicknames to have been given, you must have gone to a good school!

Other than TV, I’ve only seen two productions. Both at the RSC theatre so I’ve probably been spoiled. A couple of years ago we saw King John. If we lived closer I suspect we’d be regular visitors.

1 Like

Hardly, the nick name was sarcastic, being Irish in a 1960s english school gave you a big target on your back. The schools answer to me being chased home every day, was to give me a 5 minute head start :joy: ah those enlightened times…

1 Like

These days kids are all collected at the gates by mothers in Range Rovers. And that’s why we’re no good at athletics any more. :wink:

2 Likes

And why we moved house, small primary school just down the road, twice a day, road clogged driveway and pavement blocked because the fat kids (most of them) are unable to waddle to school. Now we have peace, and me bit of river…

1 Like