RIP My Dad Bruce

This is a hard one! :smiling_face_with_tear:

Losing anyone is hard but nothing can prepare you for losing a parent, even though it is sadly inevitable :frowning_face:

Yesterday my Dad, who had lived in Florida for the last 25 years, passed away peacefully at 82 after initially undiagnosed multiple organ failure and Bone Cancer. He lasted 2 weeks but thankfully didnā€™t suffer.

Cherish your family while you have them and condolences to anyone that has lost parents :hugs:

6 Likes

RIP Bruce. Yes it is very hard losing parents. Mine have both passed. :heart:

Itā€™s always difficult to lose someone who has simply always been there in our lives. I remember feeling a sense of there being something missing in the world for several years after my Mum died.

Iā€™m glad your Dad didnā€™t suffer - itā€™s all we can wish for in the end. Condolences to you and your family from both me and Rachel.

Iā€™m sorry for your loss Geoff. I was 9 when my dad passed, 58 years ago, still haunted by that day. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thank you Paul, thatā€™s really sad :frowning_face:

I am sorry @geoffb, that is terribly sad but I am pleased to hear that your Dad didnā€™t suffer at least.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a tough one mate. You have my deepest sympathy :heart:

Thatā€™s tough Geoff. My sincerest condolences. I lost my mum 2 months ago at 92, my dad 50 years ago, when I was 13 and he 42. That was tough. Fortunately your dad did not suffer.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. They leave a big hole that will stay with you but for me itā€™s the good memories I try to cherish.

Thank you all so much for your kind words. Writing about my Dad was quite therapeutic and I didnā€™t expect such lovely responses from you all. :hugs:

2 Likes

My sincerest condolences, to you and your family.
Hold onto the fact that youā€™ll always have your memories to cherish.
Take care.

A sad time for you geoff, but at least your dad didnā€™t suffer so I hope that helps somewhat with your pain. With luck as time goes on your grief will be replaced with fond memories.

Sorry to hear of your loss @geoffb

You have my sincere condolences for your loss.

I had the privilege of writing the eulogies and addressing the congregations at the individual funerals of, first, my father and then, some years later, my mother - I think Iā€™m the ā€œwordyā€ one of three boys - and speaking to a congregation through that throat tightening, eye burning, heart gripping grief is the hardest thing I think Iā€™ve ever done, but I would not have missed those last opportunities or those last moments to say ā€œfarewellā€ for anything or anyone.

May your fatherā€™s final journey be peaceful, your grief be short and the memories warm and enduring.

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss, Geoff

Yes, sorry for your loss, Geoff. I have lost both of my parents, and I know what itā€™s like.

Sincere condolences for your loss.

My condolences Geoff, I bet he was a great man. My father in law passed away 3 weeks ago at 67. Itā€™s not the same as losing your own father but I get a hint of it after knowing him for 21 years. If you have kids, nephews, nieces etc - take the time to give them some great memories like Bruce have you. It will mean a lot to them.

3 Likes