Small person checking in

If I was Wayne, I’d switch off the lights and walk away. He has a thankless task and has no support from the forum owner.

4 Likes

Yes I tried that, but now back working again. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Thanks, TTF was a friendly place when I joined it back in 2015 but it changed over the years as more new members joined and those who’d become disenchanted with the way things were going left, getting fed up with being insulted and trolled. Wayne’s done his best but too many of the original gang have left

2 Likes

Welcome Ade
Getting busy over here. :grinning: :+1:

Hi and welcome in Ade …. The little people are taking over the world :grinning:

Hello Ade - are we all on here now?

I think we are getting there. There are a few stragglers. :smiley:

1 Like

How should I know, who are you :rofl:

I think a fair few have registered as an insurance policy in case TTF goes the pan though not all are active hoping that it’ll recover. I know Sandi T is concerned as she’s got all her ride blogs on there sobshe obviously doesn’t want the lights to go out.

A bit like a GMU ride out…

I can fully sympathise. I did wonder myself about being able to scrape posts off the old site for saving, but it seemed to me that to do a proper job you’d want access to the backend database.

Personally, for my tours I have always written them first as HTML on my computer before posting them so I have a permanent record for future reminiscing in my dotage. Or inflicting on friends and family :wink:

Which reminds me, @Octoberon, I assume you have some sort of backup regime in place for this site? With backups, open source software it’s always possible to restore and keep sites alive.

1 Like

I tend to put my trips on YouTube including the Nordkapp trip I did in 2018. I prefer to do that as I can easily share them

2 Likes

The site is backed up at 3am every night. The five most recent back-ups are always available.

1 Like

Don’t forget to post the links - people will be interested. :slight_smile:

Pulling the posts from another forum is possible but I don’t think Rob will be interested in helping people migrate away, if he responded at all.

Scraping pages is possible but the tool I found didn’t work on TTF. It would need some development so wouldn’t be a quick fix.

If the numbers are low, I may be able to pull threads over manually. Obviously the original would remain on the other site. I’ve been meaning to find a willing volunteer to try it out. I suppose I could choose myself but that’s no fun.

I think everyone has seen them. The link is on TTF

1 Like

Not sure exactly what you’re proposing, but I volunteer. :slight_smile: Send me a PM.

Same here, there’s a few post I did that may be of interest… some may need tidying if they were from before Christmas 2020

@BrownMouse @DCS222 Send me a link to the TTF threads you want me to look at bringing across.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know how to do links but I would like to read SueDenim’s post about her Nordkapp trip.
Thanks Glenn.

1 Like

I’ve sent an old one… see if that works and I’ll send another! :+1:

1 Like