Street Triple 675 insurance quotes

My insurance is up for renewal this month. Bemoto sent me an invitation that’s not only £44.10 more than last year, it’s £23.77 more that they offer as a quote on Moneysupermarket. Quotes aren’t consistent across comparison sites, either. Bemoto on GoCompare is £156.25. Still less than their renewal letter, mind. I’ve used exactly the same details for both, and they match what Bemoto use for their renewal invtation.

Bennett’s (via Moneysupermarket) are winning with a quote of £101.90. I’ll call Bemoto tomorrow to see if they want to beat it.

I checked a few more companies across the sites. It seems about evenly split so the lesson remains ‘caveat emptor’; don’t rely on one comparison site and always look around for quotes at renewal time.

Triumph’s best quote was £128.38, in case anyone’s interested.

2 Likes

Insurance?? It all depends on if you have a red flower in your top pocket followed be a blue shoe to the left and a yellow on your right. A green nose would make you a very low risk!!

1 Like

We’ve already done the ‘insurance companies are all thriving scam artists’ thread. :wink:

6 Likes

I’ve noticed some comparison sites “how long have you held a full licence question” tops out at 9+ years. I think surviving 46 years on a motorcycle as I have, they should be paying me. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree @PatW having held my licence for circa 54 years with no claims they should be paying me. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

No MOT or tax payed for bikes over 40 years old, lets propose the government provides free insurance for 40 year riders/drivers…
Instead they’ll be making me reapply every 3 years for my license come next year. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes I have just applied for my licence at 70. A bit weird and slightly amusing thing on the DVLA site. So I applied online and posted the return form and my licence cut in half on the 27th February recorded post. Checked delivery on the Post Office site which confirmed delivery with signature at DVLA on 1st March. There is a tracking facility on the site so had a look on 5th March (a few days after delivery). Basically the system said application received, waiting on return form. I should explain the your application will not progress without DVLA receipt of the return form and will expire after 28 days if the form is not received. I checked the site again today and the message had not been updated, DVLA have had the form for nearly a week. But concerned about the delivery so rang them (20 minutes waiting) to speak to an agent. I explained that the form had been delivered on 1st March but the system was showing waiting on delivery of the form. The woman explained that the site would not be updated until my licence has been dispatched. WTF is the point of having a tracking facility if it not updated real time. Waste of f*cking time DVLA.
Hoping now to get licence back with my full motorcycle licence (class A) still showing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A bit late to say I’m afraid but I always retain my old licence until the new one has arrived as they will not accept pictures or photocopies as proof of entitlement. The "so what’ is that unless you have kept your original pass certificate if your licence is returned without the A category they will say you don’t have it (their argument always being the DVLA do not make mistakes). I have known police Class 1 motorcyclists who have turned up to the test centres on their police bikes to retake their tests because of this. Fingers crossed for you bud.

3 Likes

Thanks. It is a bit of a worry that I could do without :slightly_frowning_face:

I recently reinsured my Z900RS with Bennetts. Their renewal letter quote was more than their quote on the comparethemarket website. When I rang them up, I eventually worked out the reason. I still had my old address on comparethemarket.com website and it turns out it was a cheaper area to insure in than my present address(where I’ve lived for the past ten years). I also found out that the comparison site only took into account +9 years experience but Bennetts take into account +25 years.

4 Likes

SWMBO just renewed her (10yr) licence on line, told her not to send old one in till replacement arrives and is ok. It came quicker than expected, only a few days, well within the 2 weeks they quote, and still had A cat etc.
So all’s good, except same as me she’ll only get a couple of years out of her last 10yr licence before hitting 70, should give us a refund!
Apparently you can be fined £1000 for not returning your old licence, but there’s no instruction to use recorded delivery so wondering how they enforce that.
Does innocent untill proven guilty still apply with the DVLA? :thinking:
(probably not :roll_eyes:)

3 Likes

I renewed my 10 year job last year, i was also changing address so I never returned mine, no issues.

2 Likes

Well today the post man delivered my new licence. All present and correct with my entitlement to ride my bikes on my licence. :slightly_smiling_face: yippee

8 Likes

Nice one, Steve. Good to hear that at your age you can officially still get your leg over. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I cannot wait to get the Thruxton out of its vacsac as I reckon I will be able to mange riding it, unlike the tiger which I’m struggling with. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Unfortunately renewing your licence online will automatically remove certain classifications of vehicles you are able to drive, the entitlement for both motorcycles and cars are unaffected, if you complete the form manually and post it by recorded deliver all entitlements are retained.

Yes @Rocker you are correct. When I got my licence back I had lost my HGV and PSV entitlement from my licence. I wasn’t worried about it as I don’t plan on driving those types of vehicles again.

Hi Wessa an awful lot have lost various entitlements, like you I was not bothered as I don’t intend driving PSVs Etc any more, as an aside I find it bizarre that people can ride a variety of mobility scooters with no need for a licence, mot or insurance, I understand it gives people with mobility issues a chance to be independent, it just seems crazy to me, as some are fairly powerful, not long ago an elderly gentleman was caught driving one on a motorway near where I live. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

1 Like

Yes it very worrying that mobility vehicles don’t need any licence or insurance to use them. My mum had one and it worried me every time she took it out.

2 Likes