The map is coming home

A couple of months ago I asked on the other forum if anyone wanted to take over curation of the map I put together of members’ recommended places. There weren’t any takers so I’m bringing it over here. I’ll be removing any entries from TTF members who aren’t also hanging around these parts. I’ll also be removing all the links to posts on that forum.

It’s a bit of a reset so if you want to post again about a place you’ve mentioned previously, (or somewhere new), this new category is at your disposal. If you’d like me to pull across your original post and re-link it on the map just let me know, whether it’s all of your pins or just a selection. If the context of the post doesn’t work when it’s copied here I may ask you to give us a new review, if you would.

The map will remain available to anyone with the link but additions and updates will only be taken from this forum in future.

4 Likes

Another good resource for the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

It won’t be the last. :grinning:

If I’ve any recommendations, I’m happy for them to come across here… to be honest, I rarely wander back there now

1 Like

I kept everyone’s in who’s on here, which was most of them as it turned out. All the links back to the other forum have been removed but it’s all the same apart from that.

Not that it’ll matter to anyone here but I have removed access to the previous version as it’s on my personal account. The new map is on the TMF admin account.

2 Likes

In case I come across somewhere I think is worth adding, how is that done?

Just post a recommendation/review in Places to Go and I’ll do the rest.

1 Like

For info Saul, I recommended the Filling Station in Keswick but it is now closed unfortunately. However, just down the road there is the Bridge Cafe which is excellent

High Hill, Keswick CA12 5NX

Once again, thanks for all the work you put in to this forum :clap::clap:

1 Like

Is it just eating spots on the map? Are the red symbols with the bike riding roads?

Hi Saul, can you add a cafe I mentioned in rideouts under the title of ‘todays bimble’?

Old Station Cafe, Tintern.
A466
Tintern Heights
Catbrook
Brockweir
NP16 7NX
Wales

What 3 word tech.coconuts.simulator

The pictures on their web site are probably better that the ones I added in my review.

Alfie

I’ll add the legend to the pinned post about the map. The map contents evolved as it accumulated pins and could do with a bit of reorganising. I’ll do that over the next cuple of days. When I’ve finished I’ll add a legend to the pinned note. You should also be able to see the legend in the map itself, I think.

I’ve added The Bridge. If you have a particular comment about it to help people understand why you recommend the place, and a photo you’ve taken yourself, let me have that and I’ll expand the information under the pin.

1 Like

I’ll add the legend to the pinned post about the map. The map contents evolved as it accumulated pins and could do with a bit of reorganising. I’ll do that over the next couple of days.

There aren’t any roads marked on the map currently but I want to expand it to include stretches people recommend. Google Maps doesn’t lend itsenf to doing that particularly well out of the box. I haven’t found a better tool that’s freely available so I may have to develop something myself, but that’s a larger project and will take some time. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I’ve finished I’ll add a legend to the pinned note. You should also be able to see the legend in the map itself, I think.

1 Like

I’ve added it to the map and put a post in here that links to your rideout write-up. I made you the owner of the post - you’re not going mad and forgetting you did it. :grin:

I used your pic from the rideout post. It’s all about the personal touch with the recemmendations, otherwise we might just as well have dozens of links to TripAdviser. Adding a link to find out more (as you did above) is a good idea, though. This forum renders the links in a nicer way so I think it adds to the value for other readers.

1 Like

A request to all…

If you want to recommend a place, create a new post in this sub-category rather then replying to this thread. That way, anyone scanning the list can see the place names in the title. Think of it from the perspective of a new user to the forum browsing the content. :slight_smile: Ideally posts have:

• The place name in the title
  • A description of the place and why you recommend it. This can be quite brief. I use them to grab a snappy quote for the map pin.
  • A photo you took (with bikes or bikers in it if you have one). This also goes with the map pin and brings it to life.

If your recommendation is in the rideouts or touring sections you can create one here to pull out the recommendation and link to your original post. If all that sounds like a lot of work, just mention that you want a place added to the map and I’ll do the rest.

1 Like

Happy for any of my posts to come across or equally happy to provide new reviews!!

1 Like

Excellent on both counts. :smiley:

1 Like

Feel free to move mine across :sunglasses:

Please use my recommendations on THE map. Thanks

I just finished copying over @MrsVisor’s. I’ll do yours now, @HelmutVisor and @Oldskool

Edit: All done.

3 Likes