Thruxton R brake lever gone e stiff

Being totally honest I cannot 100% say. It was very obvious when it occurred though as it lost all feel. You have to yank on hard for the brakes to work and there is very very little play.
It now feels like I have done a 3 hr ride in traffic similar to when your clutch hand starts to ache.

Another thought could a massively uneven road cause a misalignment of any sort? I read the recall for the master cyclinder, which also goes onto to mention that removal of the front wheel requires a host of re alignments so wondering if that could have come i to play

I didn’t fully understand all your symptoms, if you are having to pull hard to get any braking effect then the problem could equally be elsewhere, perhaps seized calipers or pads. In any case I would not ride it until fixed.

Edit:
Just one more thought, there was an issue with the clutch lever on Speed Triples, the lever pivot pin was overtightened and not lubricated which stopped full travel of the lever. You may have a similar issue with your brake lever, if you look underneath at the pivot pin you may see a nut, try slacking that off half a turn and see if that helps.
Edit II:
Just had a closer look at your photo, looks like you’ll need an allan key in the top of the pin while slacking off. (And check for grit/debris hindering free lever movement)

1 Like

Thanks the lever itself moves freely its the interaction with the lever and the braking system.

1 Like

This is the point of resistance as far as i can tell

Ok, that’s the tip of the master cylinder piston. So if the lever is moving freely then it sounds like a job for the stealers. :frowning_face:

I am beginning to hate my triumph

Barrel failure
Gear linkage failure
Now brake problems

To be fair Triumph didn’t make the breaks.
The recall on the master cylinder was the piston that the leaver pushes, apparently it could crack and was replaced with a different part. My KTM had the recall done at the time. It was a different master cylinder though so I dont know if that one was affected or not. I suppose all you can do now is give everything a thorough inspection for anything obvious.

1 Like

another perspective

Bike dropped off at an independent for further invesigation

1 Like

Bike back from investigation. System bled ABS system given a thorough looking over, calipers and pads removed
Rode it home seems better.
Hopefully nowt else required although he did describe the brakes overall as being wooden, but put that down to the standard pads.

4 Likes