Thruxton R brake lever gone e stiff

I was out today and suddenly my front brake lever went ultra stiff. To put it into perspective my clutch lever is lighter.
It has totally cocked up my braking at slow speeds as its now all or nothing.
Has this happened to anyone else? What is the likely cause? My first thoughts are that some gravel or a stone in the brake but nothing jumping out as no squealing sound is present.

1 Like

I’ve seen that before with an overfilled brake reservoir. Has your bike had any work on the brakes recently?

1 Like

Funny you should mention the reservoir as its right at the top. Bike was serviced at main dealer last year. Is there anything which could cause the reservoir to appear fuller than it actually is?
Wish I’d noted the level prior to today.

@geoffb is definitely onto something as if the reservoir is too full, it can’t release the pads when the lever is off.
Worth draining some out as he says.

Never needed to do this before is it just a case of attaching a hose to one of the bleed nipples and draining slightly?

Brembo had a recall a few years ago, I think it was for a master cylinder, and I don’t think the thruxton R uses the Brembo master. But it just popped in my head.
Definitely don’t want any problems with the front brake!

I couldn’t tell you if it had one or not.
I’m cursed when it comes to brakes had front brake lock onto the disc whilst on a motorway once, was horrific. Not on this bike though.
Looking at triumph parts it would suggest it does have a master cylinder.

Another thing I should have said was that the road I was on was very very bumpy when it occurred.

The master cylinder is part of the brake lever assembly, where the tube from the reservoir goes to. It’ll say brembo on it if it is, but I’m nearly sure its not. Just the caliper and reservoir are Brembo if memory serves me correct.

The brake lever assembly defo says brembo on it. I will post a pic shortly.

I’m still a little confused re the reservoir level though as this is my third ride out since it was last serviced i’d have thought it would have occurred on my first ride given the amount of brake fluid has not changed. Happy to be corrected though.

Here is a pic of it

In that case you should find out if there was a recall on it. Someone posted a website were you can ckeck but I haven’t a clue. Your dealer should know too. I’m not that knowledgeable about breaks, the above advise could be on the money

1 Like

Ta
Does anyone know the hose size to attach to the bleed nipple please? Cheers

I wouldn’t use the bleed nipple. I would take the top off the master cylinder and use a syringe to take out some brake fluid. Much easier process.

1 Like

i did wonder if that was an option makes more sense.
Removed a little fluid now lever is no different, seems the more times you squeeze the lever the worse it gets.
Something is not right

In which case brake fluid is unable to return back to the reservoir. There is a drilling in the master cylinder that is either blocked or is not being uncovered when the lever is released (incorrect/restricted travel). It needs inspecting by somebody that understands the system.

Edit: as Steve suggests, an over filled reservoir could also cause this. Remove the cap and rubber diaphragm and try the lever, problem should go if just over filled and/or blocked breather in cap.

1 Like

Thanks will try without cap on, if that doesnt fix it I know my limits when working on my bike. the brake system isn’t something u can afford to get wrong so will get a pro to look at it.

Right tried it without the cap on made no difference. Bollocks what is it with this bike too many gremlins

Sounds like the best idea now but please be careful when riding as the front brakes will be wedged on quite hard (probably) so best get it collected if possible?

1 Like

Cheers hopefully going to go and call a local place this time as they build custom bikes but also does repairs.

As already suggested, Is the brake lever returning fully outwards after use? This allows the master cylinder piston to clear the ports and release fluid pressure.

1 Like