Thruxton R heel guard scratches

Hi all

This winter I am repairing any imperfections on my Thruxton R. The previous owner must have owned some boots, which scratched the heel guards. I removed scratches by hand with the 400 grit wet and dry bit it has left patches. I’m wondering if someone could recommend a more tool based approach given the surface is quite uneven.

Post some photos up mate sobwe can see what the issue is :+1:

Almost feel like a bench grinder with something less abrasive or an attachment to a drill or angle grinder would make my life easier. Then I could be wrong.

It’s fair to say it looks horrible at the moment. I have not started on the other side until I have an easier solution to work with.

If it’s lacquered over ally, try paint stripper first, it appears (to my eye anyway) the sanding has friction melted some sort of lacquer.

1 Like

If you keep doing what your doing it’ll come good but its gonna take elbow grease. You could get a bench grinder with a polishing wheel and various compounds for very reasonable money. Thats probably what I’d do but I’m no expert! Actually something that I keep meaning to get (already got a bench grinder) because it will always be a handy thing to have.

Thats kind of the thought I was having. It took about an hour to get out the original scratches bench grinder seems slightly cheaper than replacing the perfectly good parts. I still dont have a clue which type of wheel/disc to use on it.

You need a polishing mop with a selection of coloured pastes. I can never remember the order of the colours, I would need to go into my garage to look at my kit. All are available online.

I use polishing wheels fixed to a bench grinder myself…

2 Likes

Thanks any good pointers would be a massive help as wet and dry is ok for removal of scratches on aluminium but a mare to get an even finish.

I’d lend you my gear but I suspect you are too far away. I’m in NE Manchester.

1 Like

Many thanks I used to live not too far away many moons ago. That second link seems pretty good. I just need to decide whether to opt for the angle grinder route or bench grinder. I already have a few angle grinders plus angle grinder would work for parts on the bike bit this part is prob easier to fix with a bench grinder I suspect.
I see they do aluminium kits I might give them a bell as I dont want an uber polished chrome kind of look

2 Likes

Hi

Kit arrived

Did a little bit to see how it faired. Jees it makes a mess and is a very slow process but its slowly getting rid of the uneven finish. Will then work out how to dull it down again I wouldn’t mind but I am using the most abrasive mop and polish block it looks too bling

2 Likes

Just watched a couple of you tube videos they suggest going over aluminium with the scotch brite followed by acetone on a rag to get more of a grain finish come matte finish does anyone recommend this approach or have another?

What paste have you got ?

Sorry u mean what am i using with the buffing wheel? I’m using the red coloured block for aluminium and other alloys.

Or do u mean with the scotch brite i use wd40

Or something else?

Sorry

I meant the buffing wheel. Personally I wouldn’t use anything with the scotch brite but then I’m not actually there.

This is the mop i am using

I’m using #1 for aluminium

1 Like

Good outcome in the end just the other side to do to blend it in. Not 100% but a lot better than what it was

4 Likes

Do you think a couple of stainless hex headed bolts might look ok ?

Dunno possibly, what made you think that?

I think the learning from this is that reproducing the original finish was not possible.

Presumably due to an anodised layer. I clocked the back of it had a point resembling a finish point. May also explain why it was so time consuming to achieve an even finish. Maybe one of the experts on here can shed some light.

On the plus side its easier to work on now

Probably just me but those two screws just don’t seem right.