Tiger clutch burn out

hi - new member here and owner of a 21 Tiger 900. I am working towards Advanced and wanted to improve my slow skills. I have looked at many YouTube videos and read a few posts on wet and dry clutches and was disappointed after a few sessions, two of which were 40 minutes, I experienced the clutch showing signs of friction when the engine was ticking over and subsequently diagnosed as a burnt clutch and luckily, fully replaced on warranty. But it has me very concerned. I was having fun doing the slow speed manoeuvres and was getting more confident. But now I’m unsure whether to risk a reoccurrence. Was I unlucky? Is the Tiger not the bike to practice this stuff on? The technician at the shop shook his head disapprovingly which left me thinking did I buy the right bike!

Hi and welcome. AFAIK Tiger clutches (my 1200 GT Explorer’s is, anyway) are cooled by oil, and are designed for you to slip the clutch during low speed maneuvers. It’d be weird not to be able to use the friction zone doing low speeds.
As long as you don’t rev the b@ll@cks off it you should be fine.

And don’t worry - technicians never approve of what a client does with his bike… :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @Pwynn88. I’ll echo what Vulpes said. Unless you’re really hammering the clutch over a protracted period you wouldn’t expect issues. An adventure bike should, in theory, be expecting to have the clutch slipped if it has any off-road pretensions at all.

If you find yourself going back a second time for a replacement I’d ask some hard questions of the dealer about the fitness for purpose of the bike, On a more practical note, if you think you need a little time for the bike to cool down then take a short break.

Thanks both. I will continue to slow ride the bike but run a 10 minute exercise with a five minute break. A little of what you fancy does you good and is great for confidence when these manouvers are required for real. I’ve never belonged to a forum before and hopefully I can contribute in the future as your comments have inspired me now.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome. Good luck with your training and test.

Hi Paul.

Hope the bike is soon sorted.
Welcome to the forum. It’s good here. A bunch of like minded individuals with a shared passion for biking.
Have fun and remember, the more you put in, the more you get out. That applies to your training and forum interaction.
Enjoy !

1 Like

Completely agree. The more you understand the bike’s capabilities and your own, the safer you are out there.

Let us know how the training goes and what you got out of it. People like that sort of thing. And pictures. :grin:

As for the forum itself, there’s some help and FAQ posts, and if you have any questions, ask away.

Welcome to the forum. It might just be you were practicing for too long and not giving the clutch chance to cool down, so maybe a little and often will be a better idea (might be an idea to check with your observer that you’re doing it correctly if you haven’t done so already)?

When I did my IAM test in 2016 I wasn’t asked to do any slow riding stuff. When I asked the examiner about this during my debrief he said he’d already seen enough slow riding during the test itself to the required standard so depending on your examiner you might not be asked to do any but it’s always a good idea to make sure you can.

1 Like

Thanks again guys - like Adrian, I am doing my advanced training with IAM and agree as long as you are going forwards or just dealing with mini roundabouts we can fool most of the people most of the time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but when your observer opts for an impromptu stop in a shallow lane and then does a Uie back the way we came - then……Ha - makes me shiver

5 Likes

I spotted this today, which might be useful as she’s done 1000’s of U turns :+1:

1 Like

That IS pretty useful, actually.

1 Like

Very watchable and very helpful. I was out yesterday and emphasizing the counter balance and instantly had something to work with. Kept it down to 10min - 5 min rest and looking forward to the next session. Watch the previous post from “Doodle on a Motorbike” - “I did 100 U-Turns a day for 30 days”. Really? On a Tiger!! But I felt for her when she reappraised the the damage from dropping the bike.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1+did+100+turns+a+day&rlz=1C1OPNX_enGB1057GB1057&oq=1+did+100+turns+a+day&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigAdIBCjI5ODIxajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8bcf446c,vid:MALsKRr00aw,st:257

Isnt that “Bikes and Beards” Sherf bike?