To scrub or not to scrub

1 Like

I always scrub new tyres. The distance depends on how the tyre feels when riding those initial few miles. Typically the scrub for me is between 50 to 100 miles.

3 Likes

I get new tyres from my local bike shop. The owner or one of his staff always advises care before you ride away. He told me the story of a chap who ignored his advice and gave it the beans on his departure. He lost control of the bike and skidded into a bus shelter causing some damage to his bike and much damage to his pride.

3 Likes

I always aim to ride smoothly anyway, leave a bit more in reserve to make sure I don’t need to brake hard in the first ride out. Then it’s a case of chipping away at those chicken strips each ride out. Modern tyres are much safer/quicker to scrub in now IMO.
I always get good mileage out of chain and sprockets by riding smoothly, no doubt mostly fair weather riding helps too.

5 Likes

Interesting; I was having this conversation with Helmut yesterday. Good to know what others do.

I’m always cautious on new tyres. You’ve spent the last x-thousand miles learning the qualities of your old wearing out tyres… how fast the tip in is, what angle rides comfortable and what’sa bit jittery… taking a hundred miles or so a bit easier (whether to wear off a slick coating or not) makes sense to me

2 Likes

Agreed - even if the new tyres are the same type/make as the ones replaced they’ll behave completely differently.

3 Likes

I continue to scrub them in gently, with gradually increasing lean angles and acceleration/ braking for 100 miles or so.
But what amazes me, is in these days of litigation, is that manufacturers are or have been allowed to send out tyres with this problem….

2 Likes

But have they been? From my experience and what you hear online from what seems like more authoritative sources is that tyres aren’t coated in slippery stuff, it’s a myth or a belief perpetuated from ‘olden days’.

In my understanding, most new tyres have a ‘slippery’ coating because it’s a mould release agent.

It would be wise to assume it’s still the case, I think.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the justification in the article now that modern tyre manufacturing techniques have removed the slippery gunk that used to be on new rubber.

1 Like

I’ve never had a problem on new tyres. I just take it easy with them until I’ve taken the shine off, which seems like common sense.

Did anyone actually read the original article?

The whole point of it was that they no longer use a release agent so that slippy compound is no longer on new tyres therefore there is less (not no) need to be quite as cautious, although it would still be a sensible option to ease into new tyres.

3 Likes

That surprised me as I changed my tires (Bridgestone) how good they were from new. That may explain.
I remind in the past that the tires were more “oily” new.

1 Like

I did, and I thought it was interesting if not revelatory. It’s a good read is anyone hasn’t done so yet.

Incidentally, in case anyone hasn’t noticed, there’s a little number next links that shows how many clicks it’s had.

1 Like

You’re right . The devil is in the detail there.
But they admit that even if there is no release agent the tyres still have a sheen to them when new until abraded by the road surface.
So even if not slimy through the release agent they still need scrubbing in.
And “Scrubbing in“ …that is the correct definition I think.
But…. You would think that with all of the technology around today they would rough them up a bit in the factory….
Ah well as we all know , take it steady regardless until you have confidence in them…

1 Like